↳ 𝐛𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐦 𝐝𝐚𝐠𝐠𝐞𝐫 𝐈

the air felt thick in coraline's lungs. the mixture of cigarette smoke (others and her own), and the crowded ballroom could almost make her cough. however, she'd done this time and time before.

the late evening aura struck the room with the 8 chimes of the loud clock tower that stood somewhere nearby the castle. it was getting closer and closer to the moment she needed to complete her job.

a large sum of money was in the grasp of her hands, yet still she has made no move to obtain it. with a slight grunt, she grabbed the glass of champagne from the passerby waiter, and chugged away, before placing it hastily on the table she stood next to.

she adjusted the skirt of her dress, still making sure the side of her right thigh was concealed, along with the beautiful ruby encrusted dagger.

she had a job to do, unfortunately.

𓁋 ' , —

ranboo v'alkar was never one for balls, especially those in his name. the king's youngest son had finally turned to the age of marriage. so, of course, women from across the three dimensions were gathered in the castle, all in hopes of catching the young bachelor's eye.

he never looked to them, though. despite the suitor girls' best attempts of charms and flattery, ranboo always found a way to excuse himself.

besides, his eyes were always fixated on the young woman who stood alone. the overworld girl, who stood quite short (even with her heels), adorned in salmon-colored silk dress and glove. her hair was a long, silky black, with the tips of it a blood red.

her eyes always darted around the room, sometimes locking onto his. ranboo, of course, would hastily look away with a deep purple blush. she looked away with a furrowed brow.

the clicking of heels caught his attention, these ones some how set apart from the dozens of others. he turned his head away from the suitors in front of him, watching as the black and red haired girl walked away. he quickly excused himself, and followed.

the bustling sounds of the ball faded away as he made his way after her, down the long castle halls, to a balcony that sat facing the west, the sun set. despite the sounds of young women and men completely died down to nothingness, the sound of the band's music echoed in his head.

"hello—?" his head turned the corner to the balcony's archway, quickly taking him aback at the sight of the girl smoking a cigarette, "ah— sorry, i did not mean to intrude."

her head turned to him, causing her calm face to change to shock, and then back to calm. "no, no it's alright. i've been lonely most of the evening anyways."

his face heated, and tinted purple ever so slightly at the sight of her smile. in a panic, he held out his hand, palm up, with a small bow.

she let out a small giggle, humoring him as she removed her glove and placed his hand in his. knowing he was too far in to back out, he pressed a soft kiss to the back of her hand.

"ranboo v'alkar," he looked up with only his eyes.

"i'm aware of you're name, your highness," she allowed her hand to linger before she pulled away.

he flushed yet again, "well, what name do you bare? are you royal?"

she shook her head, "far from it, quite actually."

"oh— well you carry yourself like one."

"what's that supposed to mean?"

he stammered, "nothing of insult! sorry, i meant it to be a compliment... i'm not very good with this."

she smiled with a small shake of her head, "its coraline delacruz. that's the name i bare. nothing of specialty."

he looked to her, "well it must be special if someone like you holds it."

"oh? what is it that you find special about me?"

he hummed, "im not sure yet, however, we are hours into this ball and you happen to be the only one who caught my eye."

coraline cocked a brow, causing ranboo to stammer, "sorry— again, not good at this... my brothers had an easier time with their suitor balls than i."

"why is that? if you don't mind me asking, your highness?"

"well," he looked to the sunset, "they had someone who knew what women wanted to hear... i however don't. mother passed just before my 17th."

coraline frowned, "my deepest condolences for your loss... i'm sorry, the overworld hasn't heard anything of it."

ranboo shook his head, "don't apologize, they say it was a cruel piglin who assassinated her."

coraline's breath was caught in her throat, but she quickly passed it off as a small cough.

"ah- are you cold?" ranboo looked to her, noticing her bare shoulders and collarbone. he hastily shrugged off his suit's coat, "here, please allow me."

she looked up into the red and green of his eyes as he draped the black suede around her shoulders.

it was as he look back into her eyes that the music echoed back into his mind, and by the looks of it, she heard it too.

as ranboo stammered on his words, coraline took the sentence from his mouth.

"care to dance?"

"of course."