CHAPTER 3. the lakes

chris and i waited impatiently for the
clock to turn 12. we had everything ready; the blanket that was folded neatly on my bed, the portable radio laying right on top of the blanket, a few magazines and books full of poetry that laid right next to the radio, our winter jacket next to the pile, and our gloves.

"what time is it?" chris sighed. i raised my left arm and then dropped it back to my side.

"11:53." i stood up. our plan was going out the window and tying two blankets together to lower us down. we would go out the front door, but it would be too much of a risk.

"i better go grab your shoes." i motioned to the door. we were both quite bored due to the lack of action. you'd think sneaking out would be adventurous and thrilling, but that only happens minutes prior. i looked down the hall to find my parents lights off. i quickly but quietly walked to the front door to retrieve both of our shoes. this was the so called 'thrilling part'.

when i got back upstairs i saw chris already putting on her coat. we had only 3 minutes until we were out of here.

"thanks, love." she took the shoes. i let out a smirk and tie my shoes. we gathered everything together and ceased in front of the open window.

"are you ready?" she turned to me. i didn't give myself a moment to think about it, i didn't need to anyways. i gave her a nod. she then , handed me all of the items and grabbed ahold of the blankets. lucky for us, it's had an amazing grip on my bed frame. she let out a small sigh and slowly glided herself down the blanket. when she reached the bottom, she looked up at me a nodded. i pulled the 'rope' up. i tied the neatly organized items together, and slowly lowered them to chris. chris untied the items and gave me the go ahead.  once again my stomach filled with regret. i suppressed those emotions and slowly lowered myself down. if i were to fall,  it wasn't that huge of a drop but when you're as scared as i was it looked like a 30 foot drop. i kept my eyes up at the window, so i wouldn't freak myself out too much. once when i felt the slushy snow i knew i could let go. chris's claps were silenced due to the mittens, but she still continued to cheer.

"we did it!" she smiled. before i knew it, i was pulled into a warm hug. we pulled away and started walking with our items in hand.

"i really wasn't expecting that to work." i laughed.

"i knew it would just by how heavy your bed is."  she beamed. the only thing illuminating the road was the pale moon that peered through the clouds. it was peaceful.

"can't you just smell the beauty?" she linked her arm with mine. i inhaled and all i got in return was the smell of sugar cookies.

"mhm." i smirk. seeing her happy made this whole experience worth it.  the walk seemed quicker then i expected.

"we're here!!" she practically squealed and jumped in excitement. she pulled me along as she ran down the hill. i felt like we were going to slip multiple times, but we made it down safely. i laid out the blanket under the closest oak tree, and placed the radio, magazine, and books right on top of the blanket. i took a moment to admire the beautiful moon above of us. then, i was greeted with a hit of coldness expanding across my face. i turned to see chris laughing.

"i got—" she fell to her knees in laughed."—i got you." she gasped between the words.

"you find that funny?" i picked up a handful of snow and formed it into a ball.

"ginny, i'm sorry." she continued on laughing.

"i don't think you are?" i tried to keep in my laughter. i would eventually fail and let out small bits of laughter.

"ginny-" chris had her laughter under control. and raised her hands surrendering to me. i figured it wasn't fun anymore since she surrendered, so rolled my eyes and dropped the snowball. once when i turned around i was met with once again a hit to the back of the head. chris's laughter grew louder and louder. i picked up snow and chucked it at her. as it hit her she gasped. i laughed at her reaction.