Chapter 4

Everything was strange.

The smell. The fur.

Shaggy, dull and neglected.

Claws that flashed in the rising sun.

Dried blood clung to the sharp teeth.

Against the light of the sun Vitani recognized the silhouette of a lioness.

A torn ear, deep wounds, the line that ran from her forehead to her shoulders.

It was Zira!

Vitani looked fearfully at the stranger. That wasn't her mother, but still...

She made soft, plaintive noises. Hunger tormented her, she needed milk! Vitani crawled across the cold floor to the lioness' teats. She opened her mouth to suckle, but it didn't come to that.

A paw with sharp claws swooped down on her delicate body. Vitani wanted to get up, she wanted to flee from this lioness who treated her like that, but her body still had too little strength.

Again and again Zira hit her. The cub felt stabbing pain, and she sagged. Zira raised her paw.

One more blow and Vitani's short life would be over.

"STOP IT!"

A dark outline crept in front of the cave entrance. Green eyes flashed as the voice of her savior thundered through the cave.

"How dare you hurt my daughter, Zira? I trusted you, I made you my Queen, and that's how you thank me for that? By killing my cubs?"

The lion stepped closer and the last thing Vitani saw before her world sank into darkness, was the scar over his right eye.

Scar crossed the huge cave with a few jumps. He was already at the side of his Mate, who bowed her ears submissive - she was probably awaiting another reprimand.

But the King only had eyes for his daughter. She lay like a jewel in Zira's bloodstained paws, pure and innocent. How could you want to hurt something so beautiful?

He carefully picked her up and ordered Zira to leave the cave. She had done enough already.

He started licking the little ones' wounds. As a result, she woke up again and eyed her father with bright blue eyes. She blinked a few times, then snuggled into Scar's mane and fell asleep exhausted.

Scar loved her from the first moment. There were only a few who were allowed to experience love from him, but he immediately took this cub into his heart. He would protect her from everything that threatened her - including Zira.

Zira.

He had loved her too. In a different way.

Was it love? No.

What he felt now was love. And strangely enough ... guilt. He had come to power by murder, chased his nephew away, and hadn't hesitated to tell the pride a lie.

It was wrong. He was nothing more than a liar.

But for this little life in his paws he had to be more. A father, a King, a role model. So that she could follow in his paw prints one day. Without feeling guilty.

He also thought of Tama. Oh, that stupid girl ... well, she had to pay the price. He didn't mourn for her. What was the name she always wanted to give her daughter?

Oh yes ... Vitani.