Chapter 1

Candie will be the flawless and inspirational Melanie Fiona.

Candie's P.O.V

"Mama, why do I have to spend the weekend with daddy? I don't like being at daddy's house." Little Leigh Anne complained from her carseat.

"Why don't you like going to see your daddy?" I asked, peeking at her through the rearview mirror.

"His girlfriend is a shithead." She cursed. I hastly stopped the car in a vacant parking lot and turned around giving her my full attention.

"Baby, I know you don't like her. I don't either. But you know what I told you about saying bad words. If you don't ever hear me saying it then you shouldn't." I explained, looking into her deep brown eyes.

"But daddy says bad words. I learn them from him." She reasoned.

"You shouldn't repeat the things your father says." I sigh.

"But Mama." She whined.

"Leigh, you are five years old. You have no business using words like that. Do you understand me?" I fumed.

"Yes, mama." She quietly answered nodding her head.

"Good." I replied before turning back around in my seat and starting up the car again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Now are you gonna be on your best behavior?" I asked, slamming the trunk closed.

"Yes." She smiled up at me. Pulling her backpack onto her.

"We'll see. But if you are good when I pick you up on Sunday we can go somewhere fun." I spoke taking hold of her hand. We walked up to the painfully bright yellow house and I knocked on the door. He opened it moments later breathing out several puffs of his cigar into the air.

"What did I tell you about smoking around her?" I hissed, pulling her behind me.

"It don't matter. She can get cancer from a whole lot of other things. Shes fine here." He sighed.

"Can I stay with you please?" Leigh cried, clinging to my leg.

"I have work. If you don't want to be here I'll let you stay with grandma." I reasoned bending down and wiping tears off of her cheeks.

"You call being a stripper a job? In what country is that a job? You just a modern day tramp." Anthony chuckled to himself.

"It doesn't matter what I do. I provide for our daughter. She gets everything she wants and needs from me. You can't even handle paying child support every month. Lord, I knew I should've taken you to court when I had the chance." I huffed.

"Bitch, go slide down that pole. We all know that's all you're good for." He mocked.

"Leigh Anne, go get in the car." I whispered, pulling out the keys and unlocking the car doors. She rushed down the sidewalk and opened the door climbing into her carseat and giving me the thumbs up.

"So, I'm not going to see my daughter? You gonna take her away from me?" He questioned.

"Do you really think she deserves to be around this environment? The shootings, the drugs, that slut laying in your bed." I went on.

"Man fuck you." He yelled before going back into the house and slamming the door behind him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I just need you to watch Leigh Anne today and tomorrow, Mom. I'll be here first thing in the morning on Sunday to get her. I need to work this weekend." I pleaded.

"You know I don't like what you do. But I'm not gonna turn away my own grand baby. Go put her stuff in the guest room." She insisted.

"Thank you so much. Here is my card. If you wanna take her somewhere or do something use this. Pay for both of you." I demanded, sliding it into her hands.

"Well if that's the case we're gonna have to go all over town." She laughed.

"That's fine. Just make sure my Princess gets whatever she needs." I smiled.

"You do so much for that child. Its a shame her lazy ass father don't do a damn thing for her." She went on.

"I know. But that's okay. I can take care of her." I replied, getting up from the chair next to her.

"Anne, get in here!!!!!" My mom yelled into the other room.

"Yes gram?" She smiled.

"You get to spend the next few days with me. Whatchu want for dinner?" She asked.

"A happy meal with Sprite." She quickly answered.

"No wonder this child is so energetic. Y'all are giving her soda." My mother accused.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Are you gonna listen to grandma? You know if you don't she's gonna have to give you pow pows on your butt right?" I asked.

"I'll be good. No pow pows for me." She laughed.

"I'm gonna miss you so much." I sighed pulling her into a big hug and placing multiple kisses on her forehead.

"I can't breathe mama." She squeaked, trying to ease out of my grasp.

"I don't get an I miss you? Or an I love you?" I pouted.

"I love you. And I always miss you." She spoke touching my face with the back of her hand.

"Well I gotta leave. I'm gonna be late for work. Kisses." I smiled before getting up and heading to the door.

"Kisses." She answered, blowing a kiss on my direction. I pretended to catch it before closing the apartment door behind me.