Chapter Four

From Jack's room, (Y/N) was pleasantly surprised when they could see the entire town. While it really shouldn't have been that much of a surprise, considering this room, Jack's tower, was above all the other houses. (Houses? Could they really be called that? After all, there were the vampires, who slept in the coffins. They had no house; and there was the hanging tree in the graveyard. Did he count as a house for the hanging men?)

"(Y/N)?" Jack's voice broke the child from their thoughts, as they pulled their head away from the window to look at Jack. "I see you're enjoying the view!" The skeleton hummed, standing beside them. "Yeah, I've never seen something like this before. We didn't have tall towers like this back where I lived. At least, not ones you were allowed to walk into." (Y/N) glanced up at Jack, who was looking at them intently.

It made (Y/N) feel nice that, for once, they were being heard.

"Hey, Jack?" (Y/N) backed away from the window, looking from Jack down to the floorboards. "Yes, Young (Y/N)?" The skeleton replied, looking down at (Y/N) as he piled Christmas books atop each other. "When you called me your friend... did you mean that?" They asked quietly, as if-- nervous? Ashamed? To find out the answer.

Jack was quiet for a moment, before smiling as he crouched to (Y/N)'s level. "Well, as long as you're here in Halloween Town, you'll always be considered a friend to me!" Zero barked, zooming up towards Jack and (Y/N); Jack smiled again as he watched (Y/N) pet Zero, laughing. "And, you'll always be a friend to Zero, as well."

(Y/N) smiled at Jack, before yawning and rubbing at their face. "Come, you've had a long day." Jack motioned for (Y/N) to follow him to the bed.

As the two settled into the bed, (Y/N) needed just a little bit of help getting into it. (Seriously, this bed was tall! Would it kill these people to have beds that weren't so tall!?.... Or coffins?) The child settled into the skeleton's lap, bringing half the blanket over them. (Y/N)'s eye closed as they felt something, Jack's hand, pet through their hair.

The child sighed in a comfortable manner, pleasantly surprised that Jack's lap was as comfortable as it was. (You'd think laying on bony legs would be...nowhere near comfy. But (Y/N) was glad to be wrong.) It was then that (Y/N) started to take in the room; Jack had set up a Christmas tree, it was a dead tree though, with ornaments and string lights scattered about on it. The items that had been collected from Christmas Town were also scattered around the place, and (Y/N)'s snowglobe had been placed beside the bed just in the child's reach. Jack was still awake, reading book after book on Christmas.

Jack seemed to be getting frustrated, like he wasn't understanding something. He put a hand to his skull, thinking. "There's got to be a logical explanation to this Christmas thing!" He said, mainly to himself. Ah, that's probably the reason for his frustration.

Jack blinked and then smiled, if (Y/N) looked hard enough, they could see the lightbulb that had gone off in Jack's head as the skeleton pulled out a large, black book. "The Scientific Method" was its title.

And whatever had happened from there was a mystery to (Y/N), having fallen asleep right then.

... ... ...

Waking up the next morning, (Y/N) came to discover that they had been lovingly wrapped up in the blanket and laying in the bed alone. "Mmm," they murmured, sitting up and pushing the blanket off. Zero was still curled up and asleep in his dog bed.

As (Y/N) reached for the snowglobe on the bedside table, they spotted a note and picked it up.

Young (Y/N);

If you are awake and I'm not around by then, do not fret! I've simply gone to the Doctor's to pick some stuff up, just a short walk from home! Please feel free to look around as you wait for my return.