Chapter Five

Something's up with Jack, something's up with Jack.

Had it not been for the very, horribly off-key rooster declaring morning that woke (Y/N) up; the singing caught their attention. They blinked the sunlight from their eye as they sat up, rubbing at their face with the blanket wrapped over their shoulders.

Don't know if we're ever going to get him back.

He's all alone up there, locked away inside.

'Alone? What am I, chopped liver?' (Y/N) thought before turning their gaze to Jack. Holy crap.

Something's up with Jack, something's up with Jack.

Never says a word—

Hope he hasn't died!

Something's up with Jack, something's up with Jack.

Jack was pacing the room, arms behind his back as his eye sockets were half-closed, as if he had furrowed his brow. Despite the fact he was a skeleton, it wasn't hard to miss the bags under his sockets. (Eye bags? Socket bags? Under bags, either way.)

He looked so very tired, (Y/N) stood up off of the window seat, putting the blanket on it neatly. Jack put a hand to his skull.

Christmas time is buzzing in my skull. Will it let me be? I cannot tell.

Jack walked over to his desk, sitting in his chair and seemingly forgetting about (Y/N)'s presence. There was a house of cards on the table, and (Y/N) watched as Jack tried two more cards. He suddenly turned to the child, singing to them now.

There's so many things I cannot grasp. When I think I've got it and then at last—!

Through my bony fingers it does slip- like a snowflake in a firey grip.

Jack quickly turned back around to his desk, a look of frustration crossing him as the card house fell apart. He let out a low growl as he swiped the cards off with the back of his bony hand. (Y/N) quickly scampered out of the way of Jack's chair.

Jack pushed his chair away from the desk, spinning it in a circular motion as he held out his arms. (Y/N) trailed behind his chair, looking around at everything the skeleton motioned at.

Something here I'm not quite getting— though I try, I keep forgetting, like a memory long since passed.

Here in an instant- gone in a flash! What does it mean? What does it mean!?

Jack was suddenly up from his chair, and behind another one of his desks. It looked like a bookshelf, but (Y/N) couldn't remember it's actual name. On top of it were beakers full of toys, a yo-yo; a firetruck and a gingerbread man.

In these little bric-a-brac; a secret's waiting to be cracked! These dolls and toys confuse me so—confound it all, I love it though.

The skeleton's once frustrated, harsh face had softened to one of slight distress. He pinched where the bridge of his nose would be, had he any skin. (Y/N) continued to watch silently, listening to Jack, watching as he went from place to place as he picked up a doll.

Simple objects, nothing more! But something's hidden through a door— though, I do not have the key. Something's here I cannot see!

What does it mean? What does it mean!?

Jack held the doll tightly in his grasp, looking frustrated once more. He shook the doll once, twice, three times before hissing under his breath.

What does it mean?