The Wishing Well

Park Da Som didn't want to go back to Uni. Well, nothing was new in that. But the winter break had not even ended still her parents first persuaded and then threatened her to go back to University to get ahead of her classmates in studies or else they'll burn the draft of her manhwa she was preparing since sixth grade. And moreover in Cheorwon, she could spend more time checking out her crush from middle school who worked as a librarian part-time during University breaks. It was warm and cozy inside bus she was travelling in to get to Seoul, and she already felt so distant to the snow outside. Btw, why were kids so silent these days? When she and her sister were young, they would get beaten twice or thrice by their mother on a bus journey because of their loudly singing pop songs.

Suddenly the bus screeched to a halt.

"What's wrong?" The passengers began discussing among themselves.

The driver announced: "The bus is having some engine issues and the mechanic will take at least two hours to come from nearby town. So all passengers may go outside, stretch themselves and get some fresh air." But no one moved. Everyone was glued to their smartphone, even kids.

But Da Som was not the one to leave this opportunity. She ran outside the bus. There was no house or any sign of life visible outside. Da Som hesitated in case it was unsafe there being a deserted area but the scenery was too beautiful to let fear settle in Da Som's mind. The starlight hit the snow to create patterns of many colors and if Da Som really focused, she could hear a faint tinkling of bells. The air smelled slightly like bonfire. Da Som was thirsty but she was not in a mood to go back into bus to fetch water bottle. As if conjured by her desire for water, there was a well nearby. Her grandma used to say one should not visit well after dusk and before dawn as spirits used to live there at that time. But Da Som never cared for such superstitions, anyway.

Da Som went towards the well. The well was too deep and covered in moss. It looked just like any other well in the village of Da Som's grandparents. The only thing odd about the well was the presence of a purple silk cloth draped around the edge of the well. It felt to expensive to be abandoned in the middle of nowhere. But the rich always have strange quirks. There were faint sparks in the air despite the snow. Da Som picked up the cloth and buried her face in it. It was so soft and warm like chocolate. Say what you may, but luxury had an aura. If only she chose to audition as an idol rather than studying in university, Da Som could fill her wardrobe with such expensive silks. Da Som took a coin from her pocket and whispered to it: "Please I don't want to go back to University. I want to stay here only. Please make it happen."

Suddenly it was dark all around and neither any star nor the bus headlights were visible.

"Snow, spark, silk and dark...

that's all we need for magic", A male voice echoed from the well.