9. Testing Time

The time had finally come. It was time for Mollie and Sophia to drive the car for the first time.

It was mid March and they'd headed to Barcelona for testing. Formula 1 were out in Australia ready to kick off their season, so Mollie was relieved that she didn't run the risk of seeing Seb just yet. She knew she'd have to see him eventually, but the longer she could put it off the better.

She needed time to settle down and feel comfortable with her new team before she moved ahead with her plan to make Seb want her. She had no idea how she was going to go about it.  He seemed pretty loved up with Elena.

She was car sharing with Sophie and their trainers, Ash and Garrett, on the way to the circuit.

It was the first day of the three day test. There would also be a studio session with the official Formula W photographer.

Mollie had scraped her hair back into a messy bun that morning, she just didn't have the enthusiasm. So what if her official photos looked shit.  She was there to drive fast, not to look pretty.  They'd only arrived last night after spending the last few days back at the factory, in Bicester, and she was still tired.

Sophia looked as flawless as usual. She wouldn't be seen looking like she had just rolled out of bed like Mollie did. Mollie didn't care though. She wasn't trying to impress anyone.

When they got there they headed straight to their motorhome to change into their race suits.

First up was a grid photo. She and Sophie walked out, side by side, their helmets under their arms.

They were the last to arrive and Mollie felt self conscious as every other driver turned and stared at them.

The photographer directed them to their position. They were just passing the red clad drivers from Ferrari when she heard someone whisper "loser." No prizes for guessing who that was, she thought.

After the photos they headed to the garage to meet the team. Sophia went off into her side of the garage.

"Mollie, ah there you are. There's a few people I want to introduce you to," said Tom Smollett, the Team Principal.

He started introducing her to the main members of her team. She nodded hello to them all, trying her best to remember all their names.

"And these two I've saved until last as they inform me they already know you." Mollie was intrigued. Who could it be?

"This is your press officer. You may be familiar with her."

Mollie shrieked and threw her arms around her old friend.

"Cassie!! Oh my God. I can't believe it!" Cassie laughed, hugging her friend back.

"And this is your race engineer."

Mollie turned and saw the handsome, cheeky smile of Joel Barnes, brother of her old team mate Will, and one of Seb's old mechanics.

"Joel! You're my engineer? Wow, I thought you were still at Red Bull."

"I was but Matthew Thorne offered me this job. I was stuck in a rut there. No chance of promotion, and to be honest, I've been following your career and I think we have the chance to do something special here."

"Good to have you on board. How's Will? I feel bad, I haven't spoken to him in years. Life just got in the way."

"He's doing good. He got Rookie of the Year in F1 last season. He's looking forward to seeing you."

"OK, so let's get this show on the road!" declared Tom, shooing everyone off to work. Mollie felt excited. Time to begin her Formula W journey.

                   ***