Chapter 22

There are no stories on the news of any dead bodies found or fiery car crashes over the next few days, yet Mom is still missing.

Dad files a report. Sam goes back to school, but I know he isn't doing well. He barely talks, and he walks around in a moody daze. The house stands utterly silent now, the air laced with tension.

I don't know how I do it, but somehow, I fall back into the old routine of school. I keep up a front with Alex. I know I should tell her but I can't. I don't know how. Just the idea of it all is almost enough for me to break down in tears. I can't let it happen. I have to keep it together.

A few days later, an idea occurs to me. There's someone I didn't call that first night - someone important. I don't know why I didn't realize it sooner. As soon as I get home from school, I make the call. She answers after a suspiciously long wait.

"Hello?"

"Gran? It's Clare."

"Oh," is the first thing out of her mouth, not as excited as she normally would be. "Hello, sweetie. How are you?"

I take a deep breath. "Gran. Tell me the truth. Is she there?"

There is a silence. I hear shuffling but can't figure out what's causing it.

"Darling," she speaks in that slow, silvery voice of hers. "I don't understand. What are you talking about?"

"She's there, isn't she?"

"Clare, honey - "

"I can't believe it. I can't believe she did this. Bye, Gran."

"Err, wait - "

I hang up. I call my brothers down, and they run over, feet thudding heavily. "She's at Gran's," I announce.

Rob cocks his head, puzzled. "What? What do you mean? She called you?"

"No. I called the house."

"So you spoke to her?"

"Well, no. Gran wouldn't admit it, but I know she's there."

Sam deflates, looking annoyed. "Oh, please, Clare. If Mom were there, she'd tell us. Or at least Gran would."

"Guys, I'm telling you she's there!"

"Forget it," he says, walking away.

I turn to my twin, but he just shrugs. He doesn't believe me either, trailing upstairs after Sam.

I don't know how to explain why I'm so sure. I just am. I need to go up there and see her. To prove that I'm right and to see for myself that she's fine. That this was all a cruel joke on her part.

But Gran lives like three thousand miles away. Sam won't drive me, and I'm not about to ask my father. There's the bus but I don't think I have enough money for a ticket to and back.

That means there's only one thing I can do. Only one person I can go to.

Josh.

I can't waste any time. I leave the house right away, riding my bike to Toledo Avenue. Mr. Grier opens the door to me once more, looking pleased to see me. "Oh, hello, Clare. It's so nice to see you again." He waves me in. I don't see Mrs. Grier or Josh anywhere.

"Is Josh here?" I ask, a little impatiently.

"No. He hasn't come back from school."

He must have gone out somewhere after. Damn it.

Mr. Grier bends slightly, peering into my eyes. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah. I'm fine. Mr. Grier, I really need to talk to Josh. Do you mind if I wait for him here?"