Ep. 1 ❝Kings do not weep so weakly❞

Royalty AU

Expletives/Overview: angst w/happy ending, minor character death, description of vomiting, brief mentions of decapitation

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

  James Buchanan Barnes led a glamoured life –or so it appeared that way; his life was merely silver-plated, and under that thin layer of polished looks was a brittle, hurt little prince. If death was tragic, what was of Prince James' life?

Born to a couple who simply held the titles of Mother and Father, they were never really parents to Prince James, they were anything but. Yet somehow they were exemplary at playing their parts, acting so loving and caring in front of the crowds filled with envious citizens. Though if anyone were to see beyond the ruffles and jewels, and the filthy richness of the Barnes name; well, it would leave you filled with trepidation if you ever came near the real King and Queen of the kingdom. Like snakes they shed their skins, letting old faces blossom into venomous sneers and grimaces. There were times before now, when things were pleasant and Prince James didn't flinch at the sounds of footsteps and shrink at the voice of his parents. Those times were much like now, now his mother's face didn't resemble the gaunt faces of the gargoyles on the castle's edge.

No, now she appeared sweetly tired and round. Her sharp cheekbones seemed soft and round, she was almost cherub like. Prince James pondered to himself, maybe she truly loved her husband, or maybe the death of the King has made her come to acknowledge who her husband really was. He asked if she wept of love or the loss of power with tearful eyes, speaking harshly in a low voice. The sting of her hand hitting his cheek almost hurt,"you haven't any decency, not even at your father's funeral,"she commented in a clipped tone.

"He was never my father! He never even tried to be my father, not a damn time can I recall him acting so much as warm towards me!"

The yelling could be heared beyond the private chamber, yet the guards by the heavy wooden doors stayed still. No one moved as the balance of who had the greater power was not formally acknowledged.

"Leave!"

"Why how dare you–"

"I said leave!"

Prince James, however he no longer was a prince; he was a King. The King.

∘₊✧──────✧₊∘

  King James' mother soon left after his command, moreso it was the guards that aided in getting Her Majesty out. It wasn't that King James wanted to be alone with his deceased father, in fact he left rather soon after his mother did. Going to his own personal quartes in the old castle, but not without the close company of guards trailing behind him. King James felt suffocated by their presence, he desperately wished to be alone and finally be free of all the prying eyes.

  Eventually King Jame would be able to find solace, behind locked doors he would finally be able to hide. Aside from the periodic check in froms his private protection, King James was alone as always. He was free, but for only so long. There was only a matter of time before his responsibilities would pile mountainously calling for his attention like newly hatched birds who knew their mother was near. Suddenly King James didn't feel so good, the taste of bile filled his mouth as he hurried to his bathroom, stumbling the short way there. His dinner reached beyond his lips and spilled into the ceramic, hitting the bowl with a slosh. His nerves wrecked him inside-out, he heaved into the toilet more than he would have liked, King James' fingers grasped the sinks edge. By now he was gagging dry, coughing harshly seemingly with no chance of stopping. Eventually his body would give one last jerk before stilling on the cold stone floor. Sleeping on the cold hard ground was tempting His Majesty as he grew weary, aching in almost every way imaginable.