1

The tiny rain drops blurred his vision of The Mumbai City as he stared at the electricity that had illuminated the entire city from 20th floor of his office. With taking sips of alcohol from the glass he looked like enjoying the busy city. Anyone could say that he was either celebrating a great music album that him and his friends were launching this month or was happy that his buddy was getting married to the love of his life. But no one knew the mess his heart and mind was. He was in such a chaos that even after drinking since a couple of hours he stood like a statue by the glass wall not hinting about his hangover at all.

But little did they know that it was actually the love of his life that his friend was marrying. Dhruv Vedant weds Nandini Murthy. The flashes from the invitation card never left his eyes even after he tore it apart into pieces then remembering something and only collecting those pieces which had her name.

She was his. Only he could love her. He had calmed him down by these mere thoughts but then reality hit upon him hard. She wasn't his anymore. He had never imagined of marrying in the first place but falling in love with her made him change his thoughts a lot and what the ongoing situation holds, he never felt so eager to make her officially his in front of the whole world. Today he realized that how important it is if you really want to keep someone with you, restricting them from just saying a good bye and walking out of your life. You get yourself safe from the heartache of breakup and insecurity of your partner knowing someone better than you because at the end of the day they belong to you, legally.

No ifs and buts can change tonight. No ifs and buts can change what happened a week before or more precisely what he did.

"We are over." He had said despite looking into her watery eyes which had always melted him. He himself was crying inside, his heart broke telling her something that was a total lie.

"I don't believe you." She replied sobbing. How could she ? He was someone whom she knew inside out. She could easily look into his eyes and tell what he must be thinking.

"Suit yourself, Nandini. I cannot take this anymore." Before, the way her name would roll out of his tongue would make her feel goosebumps and excited but today she felt wrath that she always saw in him for everyone but her. "I am ending every relationship with you. Either you accept it or not." Her Manik could never talk to her like that. He could never look past her teary eyes and not just engulf her into his arms. What happened suddenly ? This question was never answered. He suddenly showed up at the usual coffee shop where they had their date almost everyday but that day he changed her life. He broke her trust. He broke her. He left her to cry in front of strangers who were pitying her. How he used to make sure that she stands tall in front of everyone and here he himself caused her pain.

He wanted to kill himself right when he exited the cafe or just take her to a place where there will be no one but them. He wanted to do so much but alas he was helpless. He never thought that falling in love would cost him so much but then who thinks before falling in love ?

Manik came out of his thoughts as his phone went off. He rubbed his tears which flew without his consent and cleared his throat.

"Yes..!!" He answered.

"Manik I know it is hard for you but Dhruv needs you right now. I am sorry but it is his big day." Cabir, the silent spectator of his love story said over the phone and Manik realized that today his actual darkness prevails.

"I will be there." Gathering up courage, finishing the little drink in his glass he moved his hands in his hair adjusting himself and then moved out. He had to look presentable in front of his buddy and her who had no idea of his misery.