3

Two days passed since Manik saw Nandini. She was on leave as told by Dhurv that she wasn't fine. Manik was dead worried for her but could not express it and by asking about her he only came to know that she had fever. But how he spent these two days could only be told by him. He had lived in these two days on her pictures trying to find warmth in them. And she wasn't coming for next two more days. Since he shared a brief moment with her he wanted to have more of her presence. He regretted his decision on big time. He wanted her back so strongly since these two days that he wished to have a time traveller and fix everything. Had it been anyone else in place of Dhruv, he could have killed him and then married her but now he relized how fucked up he was.

He at one point wanted to just tell Dhruv but then no one is like him. No one is as courageous as him. Cabir had clearly told him in clear words that he would regret and that is exactly what was happening. He wanted to burn down the Earth at one place. Pain in his chest had crossed all his boundaries a number of times in these couple of days. He had shouted standing on the edge of some deserted place trying to free himself of all the burden but it was too much.

Manik wanted to know how she was. Last time he saw her he was extremely worried to see her in such worse condition and the thoughts about her not being well never left him.

On the other hand the night Nandini came home late marked an almost end to her existance. Dhruv had been harsh with her before but he never hit her so bad that she hit her head hard with the edge of the table placed in the lounge resulting in her getting unconscious. Dhruv panicked seeing her not responding and rushed her to hospital at that hour of the night. There weren't a lot of doctors except for some trainees who bandaged her. He brought her home and Nandini expected him to at least consider her state but he was adamant on throwing dirt at her for deliberately staying away from home and charging her with being her ex. Who unknown to him was his own best friend.

For two days Nandini was almost locked inside their apartment because he did not want anyone to get suspicious seeing her injury and his trust level on her was none. He made sure that she wasn't given a phone after the incident and Nandini had felt as if she was imprisoned. He would still not leave her without using her for his filthy pleasures. He turned out to be so disgusting that Nandini regretted talking to him ever. She realized why Manik always used to tell her to not trust anybody and everybody. Everyone stays around for their own benefit.

Nandini was a lifeless soul. The little hope left in her died when there wasn't anyone around her. Cabir had called her but finding her phone out of reach he called Dhruv to talk to Nandini and he would make any excuse. Cabir's doubts were getting clearer but how could he confront his friend for something that could never be associated with someone like Dhruv. His words with Manik resulted in Manik's increased worry and he regretted his decision. He wanted to see her smile but here she was worse than ever. She was important to him. When he decided for his friend he wanted her happiness equally and considering Dhruv better than himself he thought to let her be with someone like Dhruv.

He was selfless which caused their misery, he should have been selfish and kept her with him. May be that could have brought a smile on her face.

It was evening when as usual Manik was sitting on his revolving chair thinking of ways to get Nandini to be herself when a knock at his door brought him back. He allowed whoever was at the door and Mr Akash, his Manager came in with some important papers.

"Sir these are the papers required for tomorrow's meeting. I have rechecked them they are fine but there is a problem."

He was scared to say anything to listen something in return but hiding it would mean an end to his job.

"Speak up." Came Manik's firm reply.

"Sir the pen drive is with Nandini. Since she is on leave so it will be a problem to conduct the meeting tomorrow." Manik wanted to lash out at him for telling him so late or not having a copy but then he realized that it was actually his luck calling upon to him. He dismissed him with a signal of his fingers and stood up to get the pen drive or mostly to see her. He felt so energetic and lively suddenly as he thought of seeing her.