Chapter 2

John's POV

"KATE!" I scream out as I watch my best friend hit the raging waters below, unconscious. I stand still, racking my brain for any sort of helpful thing I could do but none come to mind. I can only just make out Max in the darkness, fighting against the current, attempting to reach Kate's limp body, but a forceful wave knocks him away and underwater.

Tears start to spill from my eyes, and I am about to scream something out, but before I can I am knocked to the ground by a wave slapping against the side of the ship. Before my face is Ruby's ankle, which I grab before she is ruthlessly thrown into the unforgiving ocean. I try to pull her back onboard, but due to my lack of strength, I fail and call out for help.

TK rushes over and helps Ruby back on board. It is so dark now that I can barely see my hand in front of my face.

"EVERYONE INSIDE NOW!" A voice I recognize to be Michael's call out. A flash of lightning illuminates the deck, and I watch most people rush inside to safety. However, Ellie, Lily, Amy and I refuse to go inside. Yash and Michael try to push us inside, causing an outburst from Lily.

"Yash three people have fallen overboard! We need to help them!" Lily screams at him, and Yash seems to be struggling for an answer. My eyes widen and I grab the railing and peer into the water to find out who the third person who fell was. Below, I see Kate's unconscious body lying on a lifesaver, and Max and Kohana sharing another lifesaver.

"We'll figure something out inside." Michael says, pulling Amy inside with him. I am too busy staring over the railing to watch the conversation, and suddenly lightning strikes much too close to the water, illuminating the scene. Max has fallen off the lifesaver and is now far away, desperately swimming back towards it, and Kate is surrounded by a pool of blood. My eyes widen and I fall to the floor clutching my stomach feeling as though I might throw up.

"John?" Ellie asks worriedly, extending a hand to help me up. I take it and just at the moment I get to my feet, another powerful wave strikes the side of the ship. I manage to stay on my feet, and so does Ellie, but Lily falls to the ground, hitting her head on ground brutally, spilling blood. As well as this, Amy topples over the railing and falls into the waters below. Michael screams after her and without a second thought dives into the water after her.

Ellie sprints down the deck to the nearest first aid kit and begins to patch up Lily, while I go to the railing and check on those unlucky enough to be in the water.

"What just happened?" I hear Emma and Eleanor shout over the storm in unison, while remaining inside, as I throw lifesavers overboard to help those below. When they see the state that Lily they kneel down beside her in worry.

"Guys, I think you should take her inside." I suggest and Ellie nods grimly at me. I open the door for them as Ellie, Emma and Eleanor carry Lily inside. I blink for a quick second, hear a scream and suddenly Ellie, Emma, Eleanor and Lily are gone and I'm on the floor. Ricky and TK open the door and help me up, and as they do another brutal wave smashes against the ship, sending Ricky flying through the air and landing on the water below. In the process, Ricky's legs kick TK in the face, causing him to stumble backwards, over the railing and into the water.

"Oh shit..." I mutter to myself, as a bolt of lightning illuminates the scene, revealing a colossal wave in the distance, slowly making its way towards our helpless boat. I check one last time on those below before I head inside to keep myself safe against the wave marching in our direction.

They have found a rock and Ellie, as she still had the first aid kit when she fell, is patching up Lily and Kate. Swimming besides the rock are Michael and Max, as the rock is too small to accommodate all nine of them. I turn on my heel, preparing to head inside, when I realize something.