• Forget •

Severus watched with a smile as his wife stood by the window, looking as beautiful as ever. You were grinning, as a bird perched on the window like it usually would every day, singing to you as if its job was to entertain you. Severus' heart swelled when he saw how happy you were, nothing could take your smile off your face as long as he was breathing.

"What is the name of this pretty bird, Severus?"

You asked, turning to look at him. His heart clenched at your question, but he gave you a smile, knowing that it would make you happy to see him without a frown on his face.

"It is a house sparrow, love. It is a very gregarious bird."

He answered, like he did for many times already, but he learned to be patient, realising that you did not realise you were asking him the same question every day. The Potions Master felt a stinging pain in his chest when your smile widen, and you continued to watch the bird, not knowing how painful it was for him to see you slipping through his fingers slowly.

Ignoring the dejection that was slowly seeping into his heart, Severus noticed that it was time for him to leave for his class. He went to plant a kiss on your forehead, receiving a soft chuckle from you, which ignite his heart in flames. Oh, you had no idea how much he loved you.

"I have to go to work now, love."

He said, and you smiled sadly at him, realising that you would be left alone until he came back. It was quite boring to stay there without him, especially when you had burning passion for teaching, but your health condition was not allowing you to teach anymore.

"I love you, Y/N."

Severus quickly said, noticing that you were getting sad over the fact that you no longer had a job at Hogwarts. He knew how much it meant to you to teach the students, and when you had to let it go because of your illness, it was absolutely heartbreaking for you.

"I love you too, Severus."

Severus would listen to your declaration of love to him more attentively now, wanting to treasure the words in his mind, remembering it forever as he would never know if one day you would not be able to say it to him anymore.

As he walked towards the Great Hall to start his day, a sigh escaped his lips, seeing that you were not walking by his side like you used to. He knew he could see you after work, but your absence throughout his day was a cruel reminder to him that you were slowly forgetting things, and now you had to stay at home, that one day, probably you would forget him too.

Severus did not want to believe it. You just turned 38 this year, so when the doctor said you had dementia, you and Severus were flabbergasted. Your husband had tried to make potions to heal you but nothing worked, and he had to rely on Muggle medicine which he was not really interested in at first. But he would do anything for you.

The Potions Master was distraught as you cried in his arms that night, afraid that your life was going to take a frightening turn now. You had so many things planned with your husband but everything was wrecked. He could only hold you close into his chest, tears pricked in the corner of his eyes as you said you did not want to forget him.

He was scared too. He did not know what he would do if you forget him. He could not remember how did he live before meeting you. He was sure he was not able to function without hearing his name coming out of your mouth. He would be destroyed without you.

You could not forget him.

Severus was assuring you that you would never forget him. He was determined in making sure that your health was going to improve for the better. He would walk with you in the evening, hand in hand, wanting you to get some fresh air and believing that it would help your mind. He read so many books about your illness, learning them in a short amount of time just to give you the best treatment he could.