TRACK 14

Weston:

Are you busy?

Carter:

No

Carter:

Why?

Weston:

505 Amber Road

Carter:

?

Weston:

How fast can you get here?

Carter:

Probably in thirty minutes.

Weston:

K.

Shifting the gear into park, I cut the engine and glanced out the passenger side window, hoping I was at the right place. I wasn't sure why I was here, parked out front of a rundown house. But if Weston was the one messaging me, I had a good feeling it was something urgent. I sent off a text to let him know I had arrived.

A week had passed since the run-in at the office with the woman TJ had identified as Mom. And just like before, it had been radio silence from her end. This time I had sent her a text, asking if she was alright. However, after I had been left on read I took it with a grain of salt. I wasn't sure what she was going through, especially since she had told me her mother was dead, but I assumed that it was more than I could imagine.

After a minute of sitting in my own silence, I noticed Weston walk out the front door of the house and stand on the lawn. Exiting my car, I double-checked that it was locked, before heading towards where he stood.

"Care to finally tell me what I'm doing here?"

Weston looked over his shoulder as if to check that the couple on the lawn wasn't listening, before saying, "She needs you, alright?"

"Who does?" I asked.

He rolled his eyes at my oblivious question. "TJ. She won't admit it. But, I know she does."

"So she can't tell me that herself? She has to get you to do it?"

"She doesn't know. And besides, you really think she'd do that?"

I shrugged. "I'm still trying to learn the rules of our friendship."

"Friends," Weston muttered in disbelief, "I'm not sure if you've been paying attention or not, but TJ doesn't have friends." He continued before I had the chance to speak, "I didn't get you to come here to sort out your little lovers' quarrel, alright?"

"Why can't one of you just help her then? I don't even know what's going on!"

"She's been drinking and snorting whatever she can ever since her mom-" He cut himself off. "She's just trying to cope. Look, Pat will just do whatever he can to make her happy. The kid doesn't have any willpower to say no to her. Silas always plays up his overly protective brother role and pisses her off. I, on the other hand, know what she wants." He paused and pointed his finger at me, "She's too damn stubborn to admit it."

"And how do you know that?"

"Like I said," he shrugged his shoulders, "TJ doesn't have friends."