Chapter 13

"Come, shall I whip up a midnight snack for you? It is rather late and you must be hungry," the bartender motioned his head towards the kitchen. Olivia's gun was still pointed at him, her guard unwavering. He was right though, it's been ages since she last got some food in her.

She narrowed her eyes, lowering her gun gradually and sighed.

"Sorry about slapping you."

"It's fine, you did what you had to do so that my cover wasn't blown," he waved her off and grabbed a frying pan. "The usual?" Olivia nodded her head and sat at the bar stools facing the stove.

"I didn't know you moved houses."

"Well, I got a raise at my job. I'm the head mixologist now." The bartender tossed two slices of bread on the melted butter and opened his fridge.

"Mozzarella or cheddar?"

"Cheddar." Olivia buried her face in her hands and groaned. "How important was that package?"

"Very, you seriously underestimated the severity of the job." The sizzling from the pan was the only sound in the room as Olivia attempted to organise her thoughts.

"What do I do now? I even made a deal with NYPD to help find Rodriguez." The bartender raised an eyebrow.

"NYPD? I thought you hated them ever since, you know."

"Yeah, but I had to find a way in somehow and when they found me after Rodriguez threw that temper tantrum, it was too good of an opportunity to miss." Olivia lifted her head, eyes lighting up. Her mood took a 180 degree turn when she saw the grilled cheese sandwich lying perfectly on the plate. Hands flew towards the sandwich as she sunk her teeth inside the gooey cheese and crispy bread, moaning obscenely.

"Adam, you are the only one who can make this to perfection." He chuckled and leaned closer to Olivia, placing his hands on her shoulders, expression suddenly changing.

"Olivia, listen to me. I need you to stay away from this, move on. He wouldn't want you to do this to yourself." She set the sandwich down and sighed.

"I can't, you know damn well I can't." Adam scratched his head in defeat.

"Okay fine, but I'll tell you this and you never heard it from me. I was supposed to use whatever it was in that package to get into a building on 26 Federal Plaza."

"26 Federal Plaza? That's the FBI New York field office. What does Rodriguez want from there?"

"Whatever it is, he told me to look for someone called Bob and get the present for him." Olivia looked at him in disbelief.

"A present? Seriously?" Adam shrugged.

"Enough of this for tonight, I have an extra bed upstairs in the guest room. Go and rest, Olivia." He was right for the second time that night. The sandwich had disappeared and her head started to hurt from sleep deprivation. Leaving Adam in the kitchen, she trudged up the stairs and into the guest room. Olivia flopped onto the bed, letting her body sink into the soft cushions. The calmness in the air coaxing her into relaxation as her eyes grew heavier.

//

Gunshots penetrated the air, shouts echoing around her, her senses overwhelmed. Hands grabbed her in an attempt to throw her on the ground, but she twisted the arm and slammed the body against the wall. Her eyes darted around, searching for him.

Bodies littered the ground in disarray. From the corner of her peripheral vision, two figures stood out in the grey shadows.

His arms were up in surrender, the other's arm held a gun aimed at his heart. She was too far away. The blast rang through ears. Her scream was bloodcurdling, it could send shivers down someone's spine from miles away.

"AIDEN!"

//

Olivia gasped awake as Adam ran into the room, cold sweat clinging onto her skin. The hitwoman who could kill without batting an eyelash was uncharacteristically frightened. Adam touched her shoulder lightly to comfort her.

"Him again?"

"I miss him." He nodded in sympathy, "Me too."

Olivia looked out the window and realised the sun was already streaming through the curtains. Her eyes widened.

"Thank you so much for your help but I need to get going, keep in touch?"

"Of course Olivia, you mean just as much to me as you did to him." She smiled a little at that comment, her cold heart warming just a little. Grabbing her things, she made her way down the stairs, hailed a taxi, and got in.

"Amano café please."

hi my lovelies! oh my so many unanswered questions 🤔 pretty long chapter and a rather fast update too, hopefully i can keep this up! please vote and do comment, i love reading them! comment green slippers if you've made it this far, see u in the next update!