8.

I made my way to my room and changed into some sleeping clothes, taking my hair down to its natural state and wiping away what little makeup I had on as well. Tea sounded good, so I went back out to my kitchen to start a kettle.

"Ahem."

I screamed as I turned to face my familiar blonde friend sitting at my table, "Ino!?"

She stood and sighed, "You should really make sure you're locking your door behind you, anyone could find their way in here."

"I knew you were coming; I just didn't know you'd get here right after me."

She waved off my response and joined me in the kitchen, "So are we going to talk about you going on a date with Genma!?"

I sighed and slumped onto the kitchen floor, alcohol really made the floor seem super comfortable, "It was really fun, Genma is actually really sweet and personable one on one and—"

"You idiot!"

She towered me, fuming, and I yelled, "Gah! What Ino!? Just let me story tell..."

Her expression softened and she joined me on the floor, "Wait are you drunk?"

My eyebrows furrowed, "No! But I am almost that."

Ino giggled and placed her hands under her chin, "Okay go on and tell me then."

I rolled my eyes and stood to make our tea, "Anyways! We had a lot of fun and things were going very well, but it just didn't feel right. Something felt off and before you dare say a word no it was not because he was older. I don't wanna hear your slander! Then you guys showed up and Chouji seemed mad, you were really nice, and Shikamaru..."

The blonde stood and accepted a cup of tea from me, "What about him?"

My tea swirled in front of my eyes, I couldn't bring them to look at Ino when I talked about him, "He looked so upset and hurt and I don't know it just kind of hurt me too. Genma and I were both pretty unsure of how we felt about each other, but he kissed me just now and I think we both know we don't need to be together now."

"Wait you kissed Genma!?"

"Yes Ino! Are you listening?"

She looked at me annoyed and followed me out into the living space, "Well good, at least you got it out of your system and now you know that you don't still feel that way about him."

"Yeah," I sighed curling up on my sofa, Ino on the opposite side of me, "oh my goodness Ino! I forgot; I need to tell you about what happened on the mission. I don't think Shikamaru hates me anymore?"

Her blue eyes twinkled mischievously, "Oh? What makes you say that?"

"Well, he kind of defended me when Genma was teasing me about masturbating in the tub the first night of the mission and—"

"You what!?"

I blushed realizing what I had said out loud and backtracked, "Well you know, it's been so long since I was with Kankuro and everyone has someone...but I'm on my own so it gets a little lonely!"

Ino shook her head, "Oh yeah, I forgot you hooked up with Kankuro for while there. You did that while staying at an inn with two guys though!? You're wild for that. How did they find out? Why did you not just wait until after the mission?"

I shrugged and made a strangled noise, "I don't know I just-look if I tell you, you have to swear on your life you won't tell anyone!"

She nodded, her excitement bubbling over, "I swear it!"

My eyes closed briefly, man that sake stuff made my head feel heavy on my body, "At first I got a little hot and bothered when I saw Genma cause you know I had that little crush on him forever, but it was the first time I'd ever seen Shikamaru not in uniform and...well it just kind of sent me, I guess. Don't you ever peep a word about it, okay!?"

Ino gasped and her cheeks had a pink tinge to them, "Shut up, you thought of Shikamaru when you did that?"

I nodded and let my body lie down on the couch, my head falling into her lap so I looked up at her as I spoke, "Anyways, he defended me when Genma teased me about it. I was surprised he didn't join in. And then while traveling back he was extremely soft with me; he's never acted like that with me...he told me he and Temari aren't a thing anymore either."

My dear friend pet my hair gently and sighed, "Yeah, Temari was cool and all, but you could just tell her and Shikamaru weren't going to last like that."

She let me lie there in her lap as she went on talking about the shadow ninja and his failed relationship with the Kage's sister. That story led into me talking to her about my time with Kankuro and that failed attempt at love as well, though it did benefit me in the bedroom. We talked about her and Sai, apparently, they had gone on a date while I was away and been hanging out a ton. It was safe to say they were in a relationship without the official titles yet. We stayed up and drank more, getting off the topic of boys and just talking like friends, feeling nostalgic here and there. Ino ended up deciding to leave instead of stay over and I found myself falling asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow after she left.