Stand By Me

You and Vern have been best friends since you guys were little kids. You've also had a huge crush on Chris Chambers, your other best friend for years. Vern is the only one who knows. You're really surprised he's kept this a secret for as long as he has. 

You were on your way to Gordie's treehouse for a sleepover with the boys. You knocked on the door and Vern let you in. It was only Teddy, Vern, and Gordon, Chris hadn't gotten there yet. You climbed into the treehouse and put your stuff down, and then noticed everyone was looking at you funny.

"What?" You asked.

"Uh, nothing," Vern answered, quickly. 

Teddy and Gordie just laughed, and you started to get more suspicious.

"Verno, what's going on?" You demanded.

"Okay, fine. Just... don't get mad," Vern whined.

"What did you do?" You ask, while Teddy and Gordie just laugh.

"I told them," Vern said.

"WHAT?" You shouted.

"It's not my fault! We--we were playing a game of truth or dare--and, and, it just slipped out! I swear on my mother's name, I didn't mean it!" 

"Dammit, Verno!"

"I'm sorry, y/n! I swear to Jesus Christ, I didn't mean to. It was truth or dare, I had to!" 

"Yeah, right," You mumbled. You hear the secret knock from down below and your heart drops. Teddy and Gordie just keep laughing harder. Vern moves the table and Chris climbs inside the treehouse. 

"Hey, y/n, Vern. Damn, were they drinking again?" Chris asked, sitting down.

"Uh, I better go," You say quickly.

"Why? I thought you were spending the night?" Chris asked you.

"Oh, uh, yeah--I was and then... see y'all later," you say quickly and then open the door.

"Oh, okay, bye..." Chris said.

"Bye, y/n!" Vern called.

You walk down the ladder and start to walk home. You try to ignore the whole dilemma happening and sing. Have gun will travel, reads the card of a man. A knight without armor in a savage land.

"You just keep getting better," you hear behind you. You turn around and see Chris standing in the middle of the street. 

"Oh, uh, hi," you say and turn back around. 

"Hey," Chris said, jogging up to you. You stopped and he turned your shoulders to face him.

"What?" You ask, quietly.

"Vern told me," Chris said, trying to hide his smile.

"What? Damn, that kid! I swear, I'm gonna twist his arm backwards and snap it in half," you threaten.

"No, no, it's okay," Chris comforted.

"Like hell it's okay," you mumble.

"No it really is."

"Whatever, it's fine. Sorry if I embarrassed you," you say and start to walk away.

"Y/n?" Chris asked.

"Hm?"

"I like you too."

You stop in your tracks and turn around. "What?"

"I like you too. Ever since the third grade."

"Oh," you say, stunned.

"Come on, let's go back," he says.

"Fine," you mumble.

You start to walk back towards Gordie's house and Chris grabs your hand. He intertwines your guys' fingers and he walks you back. The rest of the night doesn't even feel real because of what happened.