First Day of School

Maya's POV
I was completely packed and ready to go last night before bed and I woke up early for the road trip ahead. I would be driving from Seattle to Stanford, a 13 hour road trip in my Audi Q5. It was a high school graduation gift from my parents that is brand new and very shiny white. I was granted early admission to Standford upon my perfect GPA, volunteer efforts, and amazing references. My parents are so proud of me for getting in and to be able to run track will be amazing to add to my life's accomplishments.

As soon as I'm out of bed I'm finishing getting ready and packing last minute items before making my breakfast smoothie and getting settled for my drive. It's 6am now and my parents and sister, Stephanie, said they would say goodbye. I hear footsteps down the stairs and lots of sleepy yawns. I hug them all and see them off. I could tell my mom was trying not to cry in front of me as I was so excited to be going to start mg next adventure.

As I drove I planned to stop around dinner time to stay in a hotel so that I arrive for freshmen check in at 4pm tomorrow. I'll see how I feel later but I'm very excited and energized. I put on some music and begin my trip.

When I had gone about 9 hours I decided to stop and have dinner as well as relax so that I'm ready for tomorrow. Thankfully I packed an overnight bag for such an occasion. I decided to look into who my roommate was going to be and which dorm I was assigned to. It was being released at 4pm today so that we will know where we will be living before checking in tomorrow. I see I am staying until the nicest dorm, Godfrey Den. I quickly realized I was in a suite with 3 other people. I see that it is actually 2 guys and 2 girls in the suite. These are secured for those on the highest academic honors, so I'm proud to be living there with other people who are focused on school.

Thankfully I was able to see their enrollment photos and about me sections. First up is Jacob Lawrence, he looks sweet. His dirty blond hair that is in soft curls to his shoulders makes him look kind of dreamy. He is majoring in Biomedical Engineering, wow. He loves to play chela and surf. That's an interesting combo but he looks fun!

Next is Damien Clark. He looks much more serious with his dark hair combed neatly to the side. He is majoring in Public Policy Analysis. Seems boring, but I think it fits. He enjoys horseback riding, debates, and running. There might be some common ground here, looks like he's on the cross country team so we will see each other some there.

Last is Stefania Spampinato. Wow, she's very attractive. She has dark olive skin and long dark wavy hair. Her smile is inviting. She's majoring in Communications like I am! She enjoys time on the beach, visiting family or Italy, and dancing. I wonder if she is Italian, she looks it and with family in Italy plus her last name I bet she is. She's absolutely breathtaking and I am going to be a nervous wreck. Shit. What have j gotten myself into?

Thankfully we all have separate rooms and will be super busy and I won't let my crush get in the way of school. Academics always comes first, then running, then everything else. This is what got me to where I am and what will get me through college. Maybe a few friends would be nice but they'll have to play by the rules I live by.

I fell asleep thinking of Stefania. When I woke up I quickly got ready and rid myself of these thoughts so I could focus. I arrived right at 4:00 perfect timing. I stood in the line to check in and noticed a familiar face.

"Stefania?" I asked if the woman next to me.
"Si, and you are?" She asked back with a smile.
"Maya, I believe you are my new suite mate."
"Ah! You do look familiar, but your hair is shorter than your picture." She played with the ends of my hair before meeting my eyes again.
"Yeah, I cut it for a new start."
"Well what better time than now. Ready to check in? I think we both have S last names so we are in this line."