Chapter 8: Turn It Up And Throw A Tantrum

P.S. Could you guess this song?

❈ ❈ ❈

"Slyvia, what's wrong?" Ayden asked. I heard him step in front of me so I opened my eyes. I was mortified because of the turn of events. But I maintained a blank face. I couldn't risk another slip-up with him.

"Uh... I...," I looked around trying to find something to stall so I could think of an excuse. Damn, my flight response. It was begging me to leave again. But I couldn't dash out this time. Not for a second time in the same week.

"You thought I did something but it was Rhys?" he asked me as he put the puzzle of my words together. He was attentive and while I would have admired that trait on any other day, today I hated it.

"Yes," I replied after a beat. Since I had no acceptable excuse in my mind, I decided to stall with single words.

"What happened?" he asked, his eyebrows scrunching in concern.

"Guess," I responded. It would be better to choose the better story from his ideas rather than trying to make up one on my own. To add nonchalance, I picked up my forgotten glass and poured myself some water.

"He changed someone's contact to new guy?" he ventured a guess. That was good. That was something I could work with. But what if he circled back to the conclusion that I had thought he was the new guy. He did hear me thank him for the compliment. And if I agreed now that I thought Rhys had added a contact named new guy, then I'd be caught. He would easily put two and two together to know I had assumed he'd been the one.

"No," I shook my head after taking a sip of water. Ayden did not have any more guesses and I could feel the wheels of his brain churning to come up with an explanation.

I did not have much time so I decided to wing it with the first idea that came to my mind.

"Someone changed my Instagram account username to New Guy and I thought it was you," I said. "It must have been Rhys. Made a wrong guess."

"And what was the thanks for?" Ayden nictitated his right eye with the question.

"I thought I heard 'looking nice' when you walked into the kitchen," I shrugged. "Must have been some conversation outside. But I thought you complimented me so I thanked you for it."

Ayden contemplated my response for a few seconds. He nodded since he was convinced and started to walk towards the door. I had just sagged with relief when his counter-question came, "And what was the swear for?"

Quick, Slyvia. Think of something.

He turned around at the door, waiting for a response. "Why did you tense up when you realized it was Rhys and not me?"

Oh no. I did not want to dig myself a grave. But if I took any longer, he would get more time to unravel my balderdash story.

A brilliant idea struck me and I went with it right away. I played with a nervous smile and said, "That wasn't related to either of you. I think I just felt my period start. So it was a reflex-swear. I'm sorry."

Ayden's mouth went 'O' with understanding and he nodded, "Oh, umm... Sorry for the interrogation. If you'd like, you can use my bathroom. It's on the first floor. Do you remember it?"

Perfect. There was my getaway, albeit for a few moments.

Whoa, girl. It's like you've become a professional at lying. Not something to be proud of.

Nonetheless, I seized the opportunity with a genuine smile and said, "Thank you so much. I'll be right back."

I went past him in a brisk walk and headed straight for the stairs. I all but sprinted to his room and shut the door behind me. Whipping out my mobile, I made a call to vent to the person responsible for this mess.