Chapter 44: City of light

Tideus's pov.

It's been two weeks of full recovery. I was more than pleased to leave the Hospital. The second I stepped out the automatic doors, I inhaled the fresh air. Fresh air was more intoxicating than most things. The birds chirped, though no sun shined. I felt down, that I didn't get a single visit by Slade. Maybe things were never meant to be.

Maybe it was too much for him, just like Blackmask talked about. I waited by the front entrance, wearing brand new clothing purchased by my Brother Bruce, Breanne, and Oswald.

I wore a black sleeveless shirt, white jeans, and a black winter jacket. I sipped my hot chocolate, while the steam could be seen through the air. Two weeks has been literal hell. Adding the icing to the cake, Bruce sent me the news about Rachel...

I felt like when I stepped out that door, there would be fifty sheets of glass between me and the others in Gotham. I sat on a bench and waited for Bruce to come and sign me out from the Hospital.

I was agitated and impatient. My legs kept shaking, and my nerves weren't settled.

Silently I minded my own business when a couple of patients, old and young, joined me outside to calm their nerves with a usual spike of nicotine. I tapped my foot and hummed one of my favourite songs: 'We don't have to dance', by Andy Black.

"You're never gonna get it, I'm a hazard to myself. I'll break it to you easy, this is hell, this is hell. You're looking and whispering and you think I'm someone else. This is hell, yes, literal hell. We don't have to talk, we don't have to dance, we don't have to smile, and we don't have to be friends. It was so nice to meet you, let's never meet again." I silently sang to myself. The song suddenly reminded me of Slade and I, when we first met. That whole song reminded me of what has happened. The frosted air nibbled at my fingertips, I heard a satisfying purr from a nearby vehicle.

The same silver sports car drove up next to the curb. I smiled when Bruce rolled down the window.

"How are you feeling? Ready to go somewhere?" Bruce questioned. Bruce gave me a grin ear to ear.

"Ready? I wasn't born to live in a Hospital." I joked, while Bruce carried a chuckle. I opened the door and slid into the leather seat.

"No one would want to live in a Hospital unless they had to. But what I can say is Doctors are genuine people and decent, only there to look after people. By the way, Gordon requested for Gotham's leaders to stand alongside him tonight, to clear our family name, Tidues." My Brother replied. I felt this bubbly feeling inside my gut, it was indescribable.

Bruce kept his gaze over his shoulder. He focused on backing out, between two of the cars that were parked next to the curb.

"That's great, Bruce! You go get 'em!" I said encouragingly. Though I could only consider one thing, I hoped that this public event would follow as well as Bruce said it. Despite everything that has been revealed this year.

"Not just me, Tideus. You as well." Bruce said in a serious tone. My stomach immediately sank. Wait...I haven't done much for this city. Why would Gordon want me with my Brother as a 'leader' of Gotham?

"Hold on, why would he want me there? There are so many more inspiring people in this city than me-"

"I guess you didn't see the news, Blackmask has been sent to Arkham, along with Scarecrow. Jack Ryder, the news reporter, explained yesterday's evening everything Gotham needed to know. They even said something about you fighting Gotham's Mendacious crime lord. So, you are definitely an inspiration to the women of this city. You proved you don't have to be a guy to fight back. So many women in this world have gone through what you have. Though it's a bit different because you had no relationship with Blackmask." Bruce explained clearly. I widened my eyes and placed a hand over my mouth in shock.