Chapter 2:Greatness from Small Beginnings

Qrow's Journal Entry 125

It's been three days since I've gotten Falke, and now I truly understand what Raven meant when she said, "Parenting is a Challenge" THIS KID will not stop crying. He's either shit himself or is hungry or cries cause he feels like it. Whenever I see Raven again remind myself to say sorry and give her a big hug(even if she tries to stab me for doing so). Anyway, I've arrived in Vale with Falke and am making my way to see Summer; she seems pretty knowledgeable about kids and may be able to take him off my hands. I'd take him Tai and Raven, but I'd never been able to hear the end of it.

End of Entry

Qrow walks through the streets of Vale carrying a new addition to his attire, a small backpack over his sword, hiding the sleeping child. Qrow himself has seen better days and has slept better nights, growing bags under his eyes. he approaches a small café known for selling good coffee, which he desperately needed, and serving Vale's best cookies. As he enters the shop, he sees a small woman around his age with a white hooded cloak and black hair ogling over the wide varieties of cookies they have to offer.

Qrow: "Hey Summer, mind getting me a coffee while you are up there?" he says as he takes off his bag and sets it in his lap as he takes a seat at a small table.

Summer: Too enthralled by the sweets to look at Qrow. "Oh, hi Qrow, coffee sure thing, and can I get this one...ooh and that one."

As he sits with the bag in his lap, he opens up the singular flap, being met with the fiery red eyes of Falke. So far, their time together hasn't been that bad; most of the trouble occurred during the flight on the bullhead down from Atlas to Vale since babies and flying don't mix so well. Qrow takes this time to rest his eyes, not having many chances to get real sleep. Around 5 minutes later, Summer approaches the table with his coffee and a bag of cookies.

Summer: "Here's your coffee, best buddy." handing Qrow the cup, she only gets a slight but thankful head nod from him before he begins to drink. "You don't look so good. What have I told you about sleeping in the middle of the woods? It doesn't make you look cool; it just makes you smell bad. Now, what is it you wanted help with?"

Qrow: "Thanks for the helpful advice as usual, but that's not what this is about." he turns the bag that's been in his lap towards Summer opening up the flap revealing Falke to her. "Summer, I'd like to introduce you to Falke, and he's what's all the fuss about."

Summer: "Awwwwww, he's so cute!" Picking the small child up from out of the bag. "Quite big, isn't he? Ooh, white hair that's unexpected, but he does have your eyes."

Qrow: "He's not mine, Summer."

Summer: After a slight pause and while still holding Falke. "Qrow......Why do you have someone else's baby?"

After a long 10 minutes trying to explain to Summer how Qrow found Falke and the kind of predicament he's in, she finally calms down, handing Falke back to Qrow.

Summer: " Ok, Qrow, so why come to me? Why not send him to the orphanage like we were taught to do? Why call me? I mean, he is the most adorable thing I've ever seen in my life, but I highly doubt you would've brought him so that you could show him to me."

Qrow: " Well, the thing is, I was wondering if you could take him for me or at least give me some tips on how the hell to raise a kid. I mean, you were the one always talking about how you always wanted a kid; well, here's your chance."

Summer: "You're not wrong. It's just that.......I wouldn't feel right with it. I mean, look at him; he's watching you right now. He sees you as his father whether you like it or not; little Falke is yours now. I know you feel it as well."

Qrow looks down at the child, his red eyes meeting Qrow's. Only now did he realize that during their entire conversation, Falke had been watching Qrow, never taking his eyes off of him during the whole trip. Now Qrow knew that this kid was now HIS kid, he wasn't just Falke the baby in the dumpster, but he was Falke Branwen, adopted son of Qrow Branwen.