Almost An Angel

I was still in a hospital bed connected to all sorts of tubes and needles with my mother sitting right next to me hearing the news from the doctor that I was getting weaker and that visiting hours were over for the day. As soon he left my mother grabbed my hand as tears ran down her pink tinted cheeks. I soon realize that she placed something in my palm and closed in my fingers to keep from dropping it. She then stood up and kissed my cheek, looked at me one last time and then left the room.

I could hear her faint sobs from behind the door. I looked down at my hand through tears to see a necklace. The pendant was round with glass like a monocle. Looking into it was like looking into a galaxy of stars. I began to sob as i thought this will be the last present I'll ever recieve.

I bet your wondering why im here. Well ever since at a young age I had suffered with Hodgkin's lymphoma which is a liver cancer. I've been going strong for so long til last week where I was carried to the hospital. I was scared, seeing my life flash before my eyes. And what's worse is, today is my 19th birthday. I got visited by a couple of my friends who bought flowers and get well soon cards, though it was sweet I knew that I wasn't going to get well.

But this gift, was the best so far, it used to belong to my mother, that is, until she gave it to me. If I were to go to wherever i go, she said she'd want me to go with this necklace. I never understood why. Then all of a sudden my heart monitor began to beat rapidly as i gripped the necklace tightly wincing and crying out at the extreme pain i was feeling. Doctors and Nurses along with my mother immediately filled my room helping out the best they can, but it was of no use. I felt my eyes droop on me and my heart monitor flat lined.
 *

*

I opened my eyes to see my monitor back up and functioning as the doctors and nurses looked at me in relief. "IT'S A MIRACLE!" one of the doctors exclaimed. My mother rushed to my side a crying mess. "We almost lost you, it's alright, i'm here, I'll always be here for you." she knelt next to me sobbing loudly. My heart rate steadied and i looked at my mom for comfort.

"Mom," my voice was hoarse. "Shhhh, it's alright, I'm here." she shushed me smiling through her tears. We were close together as all the doctors and nurses asked small questions and left while only one remained to check on my state.

The doctor took a couple check ups on me and informed my mother that I would be released within a month. "Thank you so much doctor," my mother smiled widely through her tears and joy was found within her reddened eyes of sorrow.

*a month later*
I was being wheeled through my front door as I looked around me. "It feels great to be back home," I smiled. "Yeah, do you want something to eat sweetie?" My mother asked. "No, I'm fine, y'know you can stop wheeling me around I can get up perfectly fine now," I said reassuringly. "Okay, okay, oh I almost forgot, you left this in the car." She held out my necklace she'd given to me before my heart stopped.

I looked at it and slowly took it in my hands again. It glimmered in the light coming through the window. "Do you want me to put it on you?" she asked. "Thanks," i smiled and gave her the necklace as she placed it around my neck and hooked it.

It glowed faintly around my neck. "Oh it lights up, why is it so faint?" I asked her. She smiled at me and pushed a strand of hair behind my ear, "Well it's been a while since I y'know, changed the batteries." I laughed and fiddled with the pendant.

"I'll be in my room,"I said as I began to walk slowly up the stairs. "Be careful hun." She called out and I continued to carefully climb the stairs.