Chapter 3: Disrupting the Patterns

Harriet awoke silently with her eyes popping open. Living with the Dursleys' had taught her to avoid making needless sounds like a gasp of shock or waking scream during a nightmare.

The first thing Harry did was scan the room for Sirius. Upon seeing he wasn't there, she started looking for her things. She needed her wand if she was going to try a point me spell. She quickly found the large plastic bag with all her personal items, but unfortunately her wand was broken. Ignoring the pang of loss at seeing her wand like that, Harry quickly grabbed her pouch. The moment her hand touched it she felt that its protections had been destroyed. Now worried, Harriet wasted no time in laying out its contents. It was all there, but she could tell someone had been through it because her cloak was neatly folded into a triangle. Harriet scanned each item with her magic to ensure they were alright. Unfortunately, the mirror, the map, and the sneakascope had all been stripped of their magic. Even the pictures in the scrapbook Hagrid had given her years ago had lost their enchantment and gone still. The only things that seemed to have survived the trip through the veil was herself, her pouch, and her cloak. Harriet gave a soft huff before gathering her things and going to search the hospital for Sirius under her invisibility cloak.

Meanwhile, a very flustered Azrael barged into Michael's suite to find him and Uriel in a serious conversation. One that was promptly interrupted by the Angel of Death.

"Michael! Uriel! You'll never guess what I found!" she exclaimed.

"Does this have to do with one of Father's magically gifted from Universe #7734 surviving a fall through a dimensional rift? Because we're well aware" Uriel said. "Her presence has shifted all the patterns. We were discussing what to do."

"Cool, cool, but there's something you should know. I just met her soul and-"

"Her soul?" Michael interrupted furiously, "As we speak she wanders alive looking for her godfather. Father will be furious. Resurrections are strictly regulated, especially after the recent Malcolm debacle. You know-"

"Whoa. Before you into go full on lecturing older brother mode, I didn't, strictly speaking, resurrect her. She returned to the land of the living under her own power. I just helped her leave Limbo and track down her body." Azrael didn't mention that she had totally been planning to resurrect the girl but had been pleasantly surprised by not having to intervene further. Mchael made to speak again but stopped when Azrael settled her sharpened wing at Michael's neck. "Let me speak! Or you'll be explaining to Father why your living room needs a new carpet." Michael shut his mouth and even Uriel straightened to attention. Azrael then explained to them the impossibleness of Harriet Potter. She told them about the baby that survived the killing curse, the teenager who warded off hundreds of dementors, and the girl who somehow accessed the currently locked Limbo. She also explained what she did with the bear all those years ago and how a piece of it now belonged to Harry. Michael and Uriel were shocked. They understood what Azrael was hinting at and they were worried about the fallout if their suspicions was true. As the three archangels discussed how to confirm their idea and how to handle the situation, the person they were discussing was approaching the last place she wanted to look for Sirius: the morgue.

Harriet entered the area with dread in her stomach. Azrael's words about the veil being deadly was on repeat in her head. She honestly was hoping that entire ordeal with the angel was a hallucination or something. She didn't want to believe Sirius could be dead. She felt queasy and it wasn't because of her proximity to dead bodies. She opened one fridge door after another and with each one she felt a little more convinced that her godfather was fine. Then, she found the one with his body. Harry broke down crying. Maybe she screamed too, she wasn't sure. All that was certain was that Sirius was dead and she was alone in this universe. The next day she woke up in a new room in a different hospital. The previous one was evacuated when a blackout took out the hospital's power.