Chapter 2: A Taste of Death

Chloe Decker was driving her daughter home from school the day after the Wobble Case when she saw two unconscious people laying half in the road. That was the first surprise of the evening.

The second came when she arrived at the hospital to find Lucifer and Maze waiting in the lobby. Lucifer stood when she entered while Maze remained lounged across a waiting room chair as she ripped pages from magazines.

"W-what are you doing here?" the detective asked incrediously. She looked from Maze to Lucifer, waiting for an answer.

"Detective, you're finally here! We were waiting for you to arrive." He looked from her to down at Beatrice. "Though I can't fathom why you brought your offspring to such a place. I would have thought such a decrepit, depressing place would be bad for developing spawn."

Maze interrupted exclaiming, "Are you kidding me?! This place is awesome. With the screams, the crying and pleading, it's like being back home!"

There was a short pause of silence. "Okay..." Chloe said, "Well how did you know we were coming here?"

Lucifer responded that Maze called him and Maze said that Trixie video called her on Chloe's tablet while she was checking on the busted up humans. The explanation soon transitioned into Lucifer monologuing on why he should have been called first while Maze continued ripping out magazine pages, this time with Trixie. All of this was interrupted by an approaching doctor. He initially refused to give them details about the patient since they were not parents, gaurdians, or law enforcement on an official case; however, Lucifer charmed him into taking him and Chloe back. It was as they were approaching the patient's room that Lucifer truly got interested in the case.

Walking down the hallway, Lucifer felt a pull on his entire being as if his grace was guiding him towards something. Chloe entered the room and went straight to the patient's medical charts, but Lucifer followed the pull straight to the bag of personal items. Within that bag he found a pouch necklace from which heavenly power was radiating. Turning away from the Detective and the doctor, Lucifer tried to open the pouch but was unsuccessful. He added a touch of his remaining heavenly power to his efforts in opening it but this only caused the outside of the pouch to light up with runes. He worked at the magic until he overpowered the runic protections only to find out that the familiar power he sensed was a remnant of his brother Michael's grace. The item itself covered in Michael's power was a part of the bear he, Michael, and Azrael created a few thousand years before his Fall. The fabric may have been repurposed into a cloak, but he recognized that fabric and its maker. Lucifer felt overwhelmed. Not only was he feeling his twin's grace for the first time in several millennia, but he was also confused on why this was here in the hands of this stranger. Lucifer was so distracted by his own mind that he didn't notice the Detective trying to get his attention.

"Lucifer! Lucifer! Lucifer!" Chloe Decker called as she put her hand on his shoulder. The Detective watched worriedly as he turned to face her with unfocused eyes focused on the cloak still in his hands. She tried to pull the cloak from his hands so she could hand him the patient's documents, but he unwittingly clenched his hands around the fabric. He may complain about his twin but he had never claimed to hate him and it seemed in the millennia since they had seen each other he had convinced himself he didn't miss Michael. When he couldn't make himself let go of the fabric from the old teddy bear, he was forced to acknowledge that he never lost that ache to have his twin by his side. That realization shocked Lucifer fully back into the present. He shoved those thoughts away as he listened to the Detective about the Jane Doe.

What she had to say had him fighting to keep his Devil face from flashing. The girl, estimated at about thirteen-years-old, showed obvious signs of abuse. She showed signs of long-term malnutrition as well as signs of old broken bones. She also had an inflamed lightning shaped cut on her forehead as well as words carved into her right hand: 'I must not tell lies.' Lucifer hated child abusers. They made him long to call the hellhounds and a handful of the Lilim to Earth to hunt the degenerates down. Lucifer held the cloak closer to calm himself down. Michael was always good at calming him, well, except for that last time. Holding close to this piece of twin allowed him to calm enough to call the Lieutenant and get them assigned the case. By the time he and Chloe reached the lobby they had already been assigned the case and another of the Celestial Family had arrived at the hospital.