Making Waves

Loreley made her way through a mysterious cavern, unsure of where she was going. A whirlpool of water appeared in front of her. Taking a step into the unknown, she found herself in a vast and open ocean. In the distance, she could see what she had been searching for.

A trident... or, rather, the glowing stone that decorated the trident's center.

Swimming forward, her silver tail shimmering brightly in the water, Loreley reached out a hand. She was so close. The stone was finally hers—

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Like the morning before, along with the last few mornings prior to that, Loreley gasped loudly as she shot up in her bed. Her alarm had awoken her once more. This time was different, however, since it was the first day of school.

Loreley groaned loudly, already dreading the coming year... and the dreams that clearly weren't going away anytime soon.

𓆝 𓆟 𓆞 𓆝 𓆟

Suncoast High was filled to the brim with students. Loreley glanced over her class list, trying not to sneer as she looked at her classes. Maybe she would prefer those weird dreams over Advanced Chemistry after all.

She waved at Evie McLaren and Carly Morgan, two girls she recognized from some of her classes last year. Just as Loreley shoved her backpack into her locker, she felt a similar feeling to the one she had felt at the beach. Glancing over, she noticed the mermaids from before. The three were following Cam Mitchell, who seemed to be acting as their tour guide. Loreley couldn't help but smirk as the three gazed in wonder at the most normal things, especially the lockers.

However, as she closed her locker, she found herself surrounded. The three newcomers stared at her with curiosity.

"We saw you yesterday," said one of the blondes. "You were at the beach."

Loreley nodded, "Yeah. That's usually where most people go if it's hot outside."

"What are you?" asked the brunette.

Loreley knew this would come sooner or later, but clearly these girls had no idea how to not blow their cover, "I can see your pod taught you how to sense other sea creatures, but not how to tell what you're sensing."

"I told you she wasn't a land girl," said the other blonde. "I could feel it."

Loreley chuckled, "Look, I don't why you're all here, but you might want to be more careful. Anyone could've seen you using your powers at the beach."

"I had it under control," sneered the tall blonde. "Tell us what you are or else—!"

"Lyla!" scolded the other blonde before she returned her attention to Loreley once more. "Sorry about her. She means well. My name's Sirena. This is Nixie and... well, you've obviously met Lyla."

"Loreley," she introduced herself. "I know it's not really my business, but why aren't the three of you with your pod? Mermaids don't usually come on land."

The three suddenly appeared sad, and Sirena took the initiative to speak once more, "We've been cast out. Our pod left Mako a few nights ago."

Loreley raised her eyebrows, and nodded sympathetically, "I'm sorry. That's a hard thing to deal with, I'm sure."

"What about you?" asked Nixie. "Have you been cast out by your pod as well?"

"No," said Loreley, shaking her head and chuckling to herself, "I don't have a pod."

"A siren!" exclaimed Lyla, snapping her fingers as the realization came to her. "That's what you are, aren't you?"

Loreley chuckled again, "Yeah. Do you three need help getting around or—?"