8.

" I thought you hated me after that day." I said , squinting my eyes at her , as she put the wooden plate carrying black pastry and a coke in front of me.

She sighed and said , " It's too tiring to hate , so I stopped . " looking straight in my eyes and gave me a small smile .

I blinked at her honesty .

" where is your baby ? " I asked her , looking around that cafe. I couldn't see a baby carrier there .

She sat in the white chair in front of me and replied." At daycare. I send Charlie there when I am working . Its run by my friend . "

" Oh , I see " I said , and slurped some coke through the straw.

" So , you finally fell for my charm , right ? Thats why you came here."
She said , fake batting her eyes at me and laughed.

" You don't have any . You are so plain. "
I replied dryly and ate a big chunk of that black pastry.
It's delicious but a little extra sweet for my liking.

" Ouch ! I will pretend that you are complementing me. So Mr interesting , tell me about you ? " she said .

" Who is that guy at the counter ? " I asked her changing the subject. The less I talk about myself , the better it is.

That tall curly haired man was now packing a cake for a customer .

Cindy looked at him and answered , " Oh he is my coworker Noah. He works part time here and rest of the day , he geeks over computers . He has a startup , I guess. Ambitious fella. He is very sweet though. It makes working here nice. "
Feeling our gazes on him , he looked at us and winked , smiling wide.

Cindy started laughing leaning on her chair's back.
She looked at me .
" He must have liked you ." She said smirking and , leaning forward she whispered ," I ship. " her lips curling inward to avoid from laughing.

"Shut up. " I growled , but a smile was trying to peak out so hard on my mouth.

" So what do you do for a living , Paul ?" She asked suddenly , curiosity filled in her eyes upto brim.

" I work at a pharmaceutical company ." I told her the answer I tell everyone , my arms crossed , looking at the white coloured bird designs on the sky blue wall of the cafe instead of her eyes.

She didn't seem to suspect anything.
" Oh that sounds cool ! I plan to become a counseller , when my Charlie grows old enough , I will re enroll in the Uni. "
She said confidently , pushing behind a stray lock falling on her face.

My heart skipped a beat at that insignificant action.
Stop doing that , you f*cking idiot heart!

" So you left studies when you had your child ? " I asked tentatively .

" Yes , I didn't have enough money to take care of a child and pay my tuitions. His father , Jason, wanted nothing to do with us.
My parents were so angry at me that they refused to help me in any way.
I don't blame them though , I really was so stupid to get knocked up at nighteen when I couldn't even take care of myself and my studies. "
She said sighing.

"But I love my child . He has been a great source of joy . I never imagined that just looking at someone can make me so happy. " She said , a big smile on her lips.
" Enough about me . What about your family ?"

" I don't have any. My parents died when I was , around 5 . I don't have any sibling. " I said , this time truthfully.

" I am really sorry to hear that . You must have felt so lonely at such a young age . " She said putting her right hand on my left hand on the table , looking at me with pained expression.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

Her caring for me was unexpected and thus uncomfortable.
No one cares for others so easily , I with drew my hand from below her.

" It's a long time since that car accident . It doesn't bother me that much now."

" That's a relief . " she said .

Suddenly she put her hand in front of her for me to shake and said , " I know you don't like socialising , but I think you need it. We all are social creatures , you know...So be my friend , will you ?"
with that she raised her eyebrows expectantly for me to shake her hand.

I just looked at her hand , crossed my arms and said , " No. "
But an involuntarily smile crept up on my face ,to my own surprise.

Seeing that , she took my hand and shook it with her's and said ,
" since today , our friendship starts ."

I replied , " Yeah . Whatever. "

Author's note -
Next update on following Friday. 😊