Chapter 3

“...Lillith? Max, now isn’t the time for jokes.” David tells him uneasily, finding it hard to believe. Wasn’t that a girl's name? Well, there were names that were unisex, but he’d never met a man with the name Lillith. Or Faith, for that matter. What was going on?

    “You thi-think I’d- Ah! Gh… I-I’d joke ab-bout thi-is right now? Just tell the f-fucking operator. I’ll expl-lain in lat-ter, du… dumba-ass.” He muttered, groaning in between as his arm ached.

    David eyed him, furrowing his eyebrows. “...Gwen, it’s Lillith Faith Singh.” He told the trembling young woman, glancing up at her.

    “What? That’s-” She started, confusion all over her face, but was interrupted.

    “I know, just say i-it! He won’t be res-spons-sive for much long-ger!” David shouted, tears prickling at his eyes once more as he realised how bad this could be if an ambulance wasn’t there soon. Oh god please just get here soon. Please please please.

    “A-Ah! Dav-vid..” Max whimpered quietly, curling in on himself, his arm not moving as more blood dripped from it. It was scratched and bruised and no doubt was the bone broken to some extent.

    David quickly dropped to his knees once more. “M-Max, yes, I’m here! Wh-What is it?” He said gently but urgently, worry lacing his voice and filling his eyes, going through his veins and making his heart pound.

    “Ha-Have… H-Hhg… Have Gwen ta-take the ga-gang back to camp.” He panted, his eyes going half-lidded. David grimaced then bit his lip nervously.

    He didn't want the boy to be nearly alone, but at the same time he was right. They shouldn’t have to see their friend hurt like that. Plus, Max also probably disliked being seen like that. He new the boy disliked being pitied and wanted to keep up his tough exterior. That much was obvious. “...Yes, tha-thats probably best. Gwen, ta-take the campers back to the ca-camp site and give m-me the phone inc-case something happens.”

    Gwen looked hesitant, her hands trembling, but she slowly gave him the phone. “...co-come on, everybody. Let's go ba-ack.”

    “What? You just want us to leave him here?! No fucking way!” Neil shouted, glaring at Gwen while gesturing towards Max. No way in hell was he going to leave his friend when he was this hurt.

    “Neil… Go… I'll be fi-fine, du- gh...dumba-ass.” Max said as loud as he could (Which was not very loud but loud enough for Neil to hear him). Max let out another whimper of pain, bringing his hand to his mouth. “Sh-shit...  Now go fu-fuckwads.” 

    Neil clenched his fist, but as he looked down at Max’s trembling body, tears still seeping out of his half-lidded eyes, he realised. Max must hate being seen like this to his very core. He always tried to maintain such a strong and confident image, and right now he must have thought it was disintegrating. “...fine. But you’ll be back, okay? Promise.”

    “I- AH! Fuck… I pro-promise.” He grunted out, wincing. But it was enough for Neil.

”...Aright, lets go.” He said to the campers, and everyone hesitated before slowly turning around and going back towards the camp site. Gwen gave David the phone, patted Max’s head lightly, and left as well.

    Once they were gone, Max panted out to David, getting more dizzy, “David, I ne-need you to promise me som-something.”

    David quickly nodded and bent down closer so Max could whisper instead of strain his voice. “Yes, anything, what is it?”

“Don't- nhg! Do-don’t use the na-name Max ar-round my p-par-parents, and ca-call… call me a gi-girl. She/her pro-onouns and sh-shit. I’ll ex-xplain later but right- right now it hu-hurts to talk.” He whispered, his head started to sway.