prologue

~2000 words

"There is so less to cherish and so much to forget

"There is so less to cherish and so much to forget."

She sighed and dragged her attention away from the autumn hues outside the window and looked at the group of high-schoolers in front of her. "And sometimes, you have to balance your emotions between cherishing and forgetting things."

"I don't see how this is going to help us," one from the group grumbled. It was a boy; fifteen-ish, dark brown hair, a pair of matte black spectacles sitting on his nose, hiding his deep brown eyes.

This must be her cousin.

"What is your name?"

"Zeke."

And a crisp, hollow, almost mechanical voice—devoid of interest, enthusiasm and emotion.

Yep, definitely her cousin.

"I also don't see how I can help you. I am just known to be a good listener and secret-keeper," she shrugged but smiled softly. "But sometimes all you need is a listener."

She looked at all of them expectantly and slumped when no one said anything. They didn't trust her and most probably didn't like her. But she couldn't ask them for it so soon.

"Uhh—h-how about some cookies? Everyone?" She didn't wait for any answer and stood up stiffly, walking into the kitchen and sighing as she leaned on the granite marble counter.

This was awkward and uncomfortable—she could only imagine what those kids might be feeling. She wasn't much of a talker and starting a conversation with a group of complete strangers, no matter the age, was a task she failed at miserably. 

Why me?

This was twenty two year old Selena Maple. She was a fashion designer in training and had a part time job in a bakery. She earned enough to support herself and her mother and that was all that she wanted.

A pretty ordinary and satisfactory life.

Until one day Zinnia, a friend from the bakery, suddenly stopped showing up at work. Selena reached out to her only to learn that Zinnia had been depressed and things were not so great for her.

Selena, being the nice person she was, listened to her distressed friend and did the mere job of I-am-there-for-you. And Zinnia loved that about Selena.

Quoting what she had said: "Selena, you have grown on me. You are like a natural crisis destroyer! You have to help my friends!"

So with Zinnia's great communication skills—mostly over exaggerated praises—and her weirdly enough depressed social circle, Selena became the go-to place if anyone was in a so-called crisis. Most of them were not really in a crisis—more like in a dilemma where they were indecisive with their next step in something. After meeting a couple of Zinnia's friends, Selena politely backed off and limited that social service to only her cousin Zeke and his friends after being bribed with free Panna Cotta's for two months.