chapter 4 : "Oh, so that's how you blush . . ."

~2.3K words

Another thing to add to the 'Reasons to hate December compiled by Serena Yvonne': the wet feeling on your feet as you trudge through the snow

Rubber boots have always been parents' fanaticism, especially mothers'. One, they reduced the work for mothers as rubber boots need not be washed or dried before second use. Two, they prevented kids from getting their socks wet and let them play freely in the snow, with a reduced chance of catching a cold. And third, mothers did not have to worry about kids whining and kicking off the boots since they have little to no care for fashion because they just want to make snow angels and snowmen.

And snow-women, and their kids, and grandkids and etcetera etcetera . . .

But rubber boots are no longer part of the equation when you grow into a teen. It's a big, fat, ugly stain on your fashion sense and popularity.

Serena had learnt it the hard way. There was only one school in Vaniville, Vaniville Town School. It wasn't a big school but it was the middle and high school for kids in and around Vaniville. Serena, Clemont, Bonnie and all kids at the orphanage went there and loved it. Given the number of students was limited and there were plenty teachers, students received personal attention from the teachers and so the students mostly excelled. It wasn't solely education centric; Vaniville Town School was known all across the continent for giving expert vocational training as well. Clemont's science and engineering ideas and Serena's innate baking skills had improved considerably in Vaniville Town.

But it wasn't devoid of bullies. Since the inauguration of a separate department for vocational training, Vaniville Town saw a huge influx of students from all over Japan to pursue their dream careers. And this invited the kids from rich families as well.

Basically those who are up to no good in your regular subjects but somehow show wonders when it comes to drawing portraits of their teachers.

As much as Serena tried to stay out of their radar, she still managed to get caught up with some bullies and was mocked endlessly for petty things. It got worse when word spilled out that the local orphanage kids attended the school and Serena was one of them. From thereon, she was bullied for the 'poor, slum-like' life she must be living; eating moldy breads for two meals a day and wearing worn out clothes for the rest of her life—not to forget the leaking roof, if there even was a roof.

Serena then retarded to the back of the class, staying out of the spotlight as much as possible. She had no friends and was pretty much on her own since eighth grade. She entered high school with zero excitement and high school was just another thing on her to-do list. She couldn't wait to graduate and escape the place.

All because I was I bullied for wearing rubber boots in eighth.

But they were exactly what she needed right now.