Chapter 8: Are You Scared?

The ball of disgusting flesh stared up at the group of devil hunters, its distorted face could make them all hurl

The ball of disgusting flesh stared up at the group of devil hunters, its distorted face could make them all hurl. An ominous sight indeed.

Its lifeless eyes then swerved upwards looking directly into Kobeni's frightened ones. It's wrinkly face held a horrendous smile that would certainly give the young girl nightmares.

Kobeni shrieked when the monster jumped upwards over her head, seemingly wanting to get closer to her.

Himeno held out her hand and closed it into a fist, "Got you." She stated triumphantly. It stayed almost frozen in the air by Kobeni making the girl whimper at the sight. She fell on her ass from fear.

"It's floating?!" Denji questioned with a surprised expression.

"It's a fight then!" Power said excitedly, producing a knife made of her own blood.

She sliced the ball of flesh cleanly in half, a wide smile on her face. The two pieces of the head dropped by Kobeni's feet with a disgusting thump.

It almost made the poor girl cry.

"Stupid devil! It got so scared of me it started floating! GAHAHAHAHAHA!" Power rejoiced, stains of blood speckling her strawberry blonde hair.

"You got it wrong. That was my power! My ghost caught it!" Himeno placed a hand to her chest, almost seeming offended.

"Ghost?" Power tilted her head to the side.

"I've contracted with a ghost devil. In exchange for letting it eat my right eye, I can use the ghost's right hand. It's invisible and strong. Super convenient." Himeno said, gesturing to her eyepatch. "Well, Aki? Does it have a piece of that gun fucker?"

Senka watched the fragment Aki held as it shifted slightly. The bullet reflected in her eyes like it was the only thing in the world.

"There isn't a strong reaction. It's not this guy." Aki confirmed.

Senka kicked away the dead devil away from Kobeni's vision and lended her a hand. Kobeni looked up at the woman, her hand, then back up at Senka again. The sweat on her temple dropped down to her jaw as she gulped down her nerves.

Kobeni doesn't know anything about Senka other than she's been a devil hunter for a while now. It scared her as to why there's barely any info on her.

Hesitantly, she placed her shaking palm in Senka's caring one. At least what she believes is caring.

She's hauled up carefully to her feet.

Senka lets go of her hand and wipes off dust from Kobeni's shoulder. The girl was shaking with anxiety but Senka's gentle touch had an uncharacteristic warmth.

The warmth came and went quickly as Senka retracted her hand and placed them in her pockets. She gave Kobeni a signal from her head for them to follow the group that started walking down the rest of the hallway without them.