Chapter 33: Finding Solace

My head feels light. I can barely feel Adam beating down on me. I drift into thought, and begin to think all these "what if's". If Adam was never in my life. I would have a great relationship with Jen. We could have escaped without his help. Lived in a little house in the woods.

The thought brings a warm feeling through my body. Good things to think about when you are about to die. I find solace in these thoughts that are as vivid as memories.

We could even have kids of our own... However it is you get them, that was always a mystery to me. There aren't any books on it, or movies. And when they do give a movie about it, they change it. I guess I probably won't find out. Yet, if somehow I made it... I'd like to have a few kids of my own. Just a few, not many. I think five would be enough.

Every day, living Jen's dream. Trees everywhere. I could just imagine her beautiful smile the day she finally gets to see a tree. If only I could. I can already see a dull light at the center of my vision. What is this? I begin to reach out towards it. Thoughts invade me. Voices begin to overlap. Memories about Adam and Jen.

They begin repeating things they've said before. Mentioning trees, roses, every thing Jen loves and all the threats Adam has made along with one sentence. "This isn't a jail." No matter how many times I think about it! I can't convince myself of it. At this point no one would be able to convince me. There is no way that I am going to leave this earth in peace if I die now. Sadly, there's nothing I can do. I just keep reluctantly moving deeper into the light. ...Until I see another light...

I open my eyes just a bit as Adam continuously pounces on me. I'm pretty sure it hasn't even been ten seconds since I dozed off. The pain increases as I come back into consciousness. Why did I come back? Why, if I was so calm back there? What was that second light?

"Adam!" Jen's voice brings everything to a standstill. Even the fire seems to quiet down. Adam begins studdering, trying to explain. She responds by rushing at him and tackling him off of me.

My bells are still ringing. I can barely get up. Jen helps me up and I regain stability, though I have to lay an arm around Jen to stay standing. Adam reinserts the knife in his hand. "If I can't have her no one can!"

His feet slip from the momentum he has running towards us. He extends his knife past me to Jen.

All I see is red splattering on my face as Adam's blade finds its target.