2

"Praise be, Vesapasian!"

"Praise be!" You joined in the response to Anello's prompt, nodding your head with the rest of the crowd scattered around the pavilion. Gathered in one place, the entirety of the worship wasn't particularly large - though some gods had more devotees that others. Namely Sofos, the silver god of wisdom, and Nkri the stormy god of justice and leader of the pantheon - their devotees noticeable by the steel or silver prayer beads they wore over their robes.

Anello was one of them, Sofos' silver beads hung around his neck along with the symbol of the city, marking him as head priest over the whole acropolis.

It was Anello that had offered you a place in the worship all those years ago, sensing the same unwavering faith that he had in himself, in you. It wasn't an uncommon story throughout the priests and priestesses here - there was a reason Anello was the head of the acropolis after all. It was him who had brought together the people here, and him who worked so hard to keep spirits high throughout these trying times. He was like a father here - and looked like one too, with his neatly kept dark hair and little potbelly.

"Praise be, Anello." Vesapasian returned, bowing his head. He stood at the other end of the pavillion, flanked by two royal guards, always protected, even in the house of the gods. "Praise be."

Anello grinned, bowing once more before he strode forward, skirting around the line of chests Vesapasian's men had brought with them. There were twelve chests in total - each one containing the week's offerings for one of the gods. It was easy to pick out which chest was going to Anoitos - the smallest one, sat at the very end of the row. The golden god of fools had never received much patronage, after all.

Anello grasped one of Vesapasian's hands in his, shaking lightly. "What news of the city have you brought, brother?" He asked, brow drawing close in concern.

Vesapasian shook his head. "Nothing good." He returned. "Our harvests have come back bearing only half of the fruit they used to, and our fishermen return with empty nets on most days. There are too many mouths to feed, and not enough to feed them with. My officials tell me of riots in the streets in some areas, demanding food and shelter." He paused. "I fear the people may reject my rule - the see only me as the source of this plague of misfortune."

Anello hummed thoughtfully, clapping Vesapasian on the shoulder. "You bear a heavy cross, my lord." He said, gesturing an arm back to the rest of the worship gathered behind him. "The people's pain is your pain, and your pain is ours."

A murmuring broke out from the rest of the worship members - quiet condolences, reassurances and understanding. You cast your own in with the lot, letting your words join the jumble of sympathy for the caesar. It was hard, to be a ruler of a people who only saw you as the source of their troubles.

"Thank you." Vesapasian said, clearing his throat as he gestured to the chests lined up in front of you. "I bring this week's offerings with me - and ask only that you bring the city's needs to our lords above."

Anello nodded solemnly. "Of course, my lord." He said. "We shall redouble our efforts with what we have - surely, they will listen to us soon. Their silence has been strong, but our faith will triumph in the end."

It was true - since this terrible misfortune had been sprung on the city, the gods had fallen silent. Even the most responsive had quieted, leaving their devotees confused and worried. Anello had preached perseverance though, saying that eventually, as with all things, the bad times would give way to good ones and the gods would return to us.

It was all you could do to believe him, and keep bringing the offerings every day in hopes that something would change.

"I truly hope so." Vesapasian said. "I spared all I could for the offerings - though with the weak harvest and the little amount we're able to collect from the tax, it isn't much." His eyes flicked upwards from the chests, meeting Anello's. "I tried to make up the difference from the royal coffers though."

Anello smiled thinly. "You are much too kind Vesapasian." He said. "We are forever grateful."

With that, Anello waved his hand, and the members of the worship stepped forward, going to collect their respective chests. You went to pick up Anoitos' stooping down to heft the thing up by yourself. While the other members usually took the chests in twos, as the only member of Anoito's temple, it was up to you to bring the chest to the vault yourself.

You lifted the box with ease, surprising yourself. Perhaps it was just a testament to how stretched-thin things had gotten, but it had always been something of a struggle for you to lift it. Now, it seemed almost empty.

Still, you dipped your head in respect as you passed Vesapasian with the chest, heading towards the stone path that would take you to the vault to drop it off. The caesar didn't cast his eyes in your direction as you walked by though, his head dipped as he traded whispers with Anello, his face drawn with worry.

"Surely, this isn't-"

"No, no." Anello's hushed voice whispered back. "We would know, if it were."

Their conversation faded as you continued past, following the group of Nychta's devotees as they made their way to the vault as well. It could only mean bad things if Vesapasian was seeking more reassurance from Anello than he already got, and if the lightness of the chest in your hand was any indication, things were getting worse than they even had been.

Breathing in the cool morning air, you calmed your worries. Unwavering faith. Something would give, in the end.