2.2

Authors Note: How we feeling about the story so far? Let me know your feedback!

Song of the chapter is I Bet on Losing Dogs by Mitski.

Marinette's POV:

I'm sitting on the loveseat, upright, and uncomfortable. I'm not sure if I want to be here.

We've been sitting in silence for a moment. Dr. Forbes is staring at me, analyzing me.

I don't want to be here.

"So, Marinette, I thought today we could talk a little bit before beginning. How do you feel about that?"

"Fine, I guess?"

She looks at me for a moment, eyebrow up, "Okay, well for starters – why do you want to see Chat Blanc so bad? Why do you need closure?"

Oh.

Have I really thought about that before?

"Well, he left so suddenly, I didn't really get to say goodbye."

"Okay, and why did you need to say goodbye?"

"I guess..." I sigh, looking at my thumbs.

"I was in love with him."

"But you were in love with Adrien?"

"Yes but I don't know, I guess I just feel bad because well, you know he technically is Adrien, and I don't know! Whenever I think about him I just get so sad. I mean it's the same boy I've loved for so long, and he had to go through so much. I guess I just wanted to be there for him. For him to know there was someone left that still loved him. Then he died. Without me, his friends, his mother, anyone. He lived for so long alone and then he died alone. I know that that Adrien isn't real anymore, and Chat Blanc is gone. It was an alternate reality. But he lived once, he loved once, he loved me, and he felt so much. It's like he wasn't really fake like he was real. I mean, he had to have been a real person, right? A real person that lived and died."

"I see." She's staring at me with sympathy now. Does she really get it?

"You pity that part of him. Sandboy brought your worst fear alive, a reality where the one you love has the worst possible things happen to him. You're an empath Marinette. There's nothing wrong with that."

"Yeah, but it makes me feel like shit." I chuckle dryly.

"You ready to see him again?"

I look up at her, a little uncertain of how to respond.

Am I?

"I think so?"

"And what will you say."

"That I'm sorry."

"Okay, Marinette. Sounds good."

--

I'm on a building, but the sky is white.

Is this that place again?

I see him.

He's sitting on the ledge.

"Little kitty on a roof, all alone without his lady."

I walk over and sit down next to him.

He looks at me and smiles.

"There you are,

I've been waiting."

I look at him for a moment.

He looks so happy to see me but still seems so sad.

"Chat, I- I'm so sorry."

He looks at me for a moment, before turning back forward towards the white space before us.

"Don't be. I'm all good."

"But it's my fault. I've caused you so much pain."

"Mari, as long as you're by my side, I'm purrfectly fine."

"But I'm not by your side." I start crying, "You're dead."

"No, I'm not silly,

I'm sitting in our kitchen, making you lunch for when you get back."

"But that's a different you, you're all alone now."

"Mari, dying reunited me with everyone I love, I'm happy now, I promise."

"I know I'm just-

I'm just sorry."

"I know it's hard now Mari, you too have been through a lot, but life is a funny thing,  and happiness will find you. Take me for example, you found me, and I couldn't be happier. I promise."

"I just, it's so hard to say goodbye. I feel like I should've done more."

"You did all you could," He takes both of my hands in his.

"Thank you, Mari." 

The world turns white again.

I'm back in therapy.

I sit up.

My head hurts.

"Happiness will find me.

Happiness will find me."