Chapter One

As the dismal bell rang Misora hurried to shove her notebooks into her backpack, the rest of her classmates were casually catching up with one an other but she had to get out of there before her teacher could get a chance—

"Misora," dread consumed her body, she slowly and painfully looked up towards her teacher's direction, "come here for a second."

She sighed in dismay and place her backpack back on her empty chair and approached her teacher.

"You haven't turned in your internship application," she said sounding a bit concerned, Misora looked back and saw some of the students listening in on their conversation probably hoping she was getting scolded, she thought bitterly. "I'm just worried about you. You're top of the class and got the most internship request but you haven't chosen any, why is that?"

Sora bit her thumb's nail anxiously, she didn't want any of her classmates knowing her reasons for refusing the agencies that had went out of their way to request her. They'd probably think she was being selfish and ungrateful.

"I-uh," she stammered, "I can't decide, but I promise I'll have an answer tomorrow morning."

Her teacher smiled and nodded her head in understanding.

"I'll be waiting," she told her while fixing some papers on her desk. "I have high hopes for you, Sora."

As she spoke those words Sora could hear her classmates snickering and mocking her teachers words, she couldn't help but bite her lip and hold back a retort that was bubbling in her throat.

"Thanks, Miss Taylor, it'll be great if at least one of your students graduates with their hero license this year." Sora smiled and walked back to her desk with a smirk on her face, her classmates were dead silent after that.

Misora grabbed her backpack and headed out of the school. It was hard being top of her class especially when her school was one of schools with the lowest percentage of hero graduates, everyone of her classmates hated her guts for being such a overachiever or as they liked to call her a teacher's pet. However, she couldn't care less what they thought of her she only cared about graduating and moving up to the next level.

Next level, that was easier said than done. The schools in America didn't quite compared to others, quirks in the states weren't as common as they were in Asia so funding for proper education wasn't widely available. Which is why Misora was forced to look into hero training outside of her country, she was hopeful of receiving response from any school but she was completely shocked when she found an email from the one and only UA.

She was on her way to the Ashford Fire & Rescue, one of the few hero agencies in the city—the only one. She interned there for her freshman year and would've interned there this year but that email stopped her from filling out the application.

The automatic doors of AFR opened up, Sora greeted the desk lady, she was an old lady with two sets of arms that came in handy for answering phone calls.

"Hello, Miss Suzume," she greeted with two hands.

"You can call me, Sora, ma'am." Sora smiled shyly.

"Okay, Miss Sora," she smiled back.

Sora shook her head and walked towards the elevators. She shifted nervously as the elevator lights descend, it felt like each one was taking longer than the last. When the sound of the elevator's arrival came, she jumped into the elevator immediately, she pressed the button for the fourth floor and started her nervous dance again.

"The restrooms are the first door to the right," a voice suddenly spoke from behind her.

Sora looked back and saw an older girl leaning against one of the corners of the elevator, she was taller as than her and had jet black hair and dark brown eyes.