s i x

Everybody was coming into rehearsal and Seb and I were just talking when Natalie comes over, "Have you heard anything from Carlos or Miss Jenn? They're never late." she asks Seb. "It's weird. He's not responding to texts."

    Seb and I just continue talking until Natalie speaks up, "Guys, let's just start. Flip to When There Was Me and You in your script." she tells everyone.

"Well shouldn't we wait until Miss Jenn gets here?" Ashlyn questions and Natalie responds with, "Well I don't know. Apparently nobody's in charge." the girl says before Carlos comes into the room.

    "Okay, people, let's stage a number. I'm late." he says in a very cheerful manner, "Is Miss Jenn coming?" I ask Carlos.

    "Miss Jenn had a small personal matter to attend to and won't be here today." Carlos explains, "Oh, is everything alright?" I question as Seb says, "Good question." Carlos just responds with "Everything's fine. Why would you guys even ask that?" he says laughing slightly. Seb and I only glance at each other very confused on what is happening.

    "Okay. Gabriella, I need you downstage on this mark. Troy, stage right. Chad, stage left box. Um other boys, find a box." Carlos says staging everybody. "Uh, are they onstage with me while Im singing?" Nini asks Carlos, "Yes, they will be frozen in various poses to come. As the ballad builds, Nini, you will be wandering through a forest of boys."

    "Wait, what does that mean?" Nini questions.
"Do you know what a first of trees looks like?"

    "I do." Nini answers, "Okay, but with boys." Carlos says. "And, uh... I'm sorry, why?"

    "Because your heart has just been shattered and you can't stop thinking about how amazing Troy is." Carlos says before directing his attention to me, "Let's go."

    I start playing he song but Nini stops me, "Uh, no, I'm sorry, but at this point in the show Troy just sold me out to his teammates." "Well, she's got a point. What Troy did was kind of unforgivable. Respectfully, Carlos, I think the last thing anyone wants to see in this moment is four more versions of him." Ashlyn explains agreeing with Nini.

     "Maybe she could chop down the trees." Natalie suggests, "Or what if she's surrounded by a forest of loving and supportive sisters. Okay?" Kourtney says, to which all the girls seem to agree to. "Is it better if she sings a solo acoustic version?" Ricky suggests, everyone was kind of against the idea besides Gina.

    "Okay, you guys, this is not a democracy!" Carlos says shutting everybody up. "Carlos, are you okay? 'Cause it's not that deep. We can all come back when Miss Jenn gets here." Nini says walking over to stand in front of Carlos.

    "Well she's not here, and I don't know if she's ever coming back." Carlos says which shocked everyone, "She's in deep trouble, you guys. They're saying that she lied on her job application, and there's a school board meeting in less that's 24 hours, and she's probably going to lose her job. I wasn't supposed to tell any of you, but I'm trying to do my best here." Carlos explains as everybody get closer to him.

    "What are we even doing in rehearsal?" E.J says, "Wait, how can we have a show if we don't have a teacher?" Ashlyn questions. Everybody then starts getting mad and retaliating at each other until Nini leaves the room and everyone follows suit but I think Ricky and Gina just stayed back.

———— [...] ————-

"Where are you going right now?" Ashlyn says as we both follow E.J as he walks very fast to find Nini. "E.J, I don't think your the person to comfort her right now. You're not her boyfriend anymore." Ashlyn states as we still follow him. "Yeah, I know." E.J responds. "Nini, can we talk?" E.J asks her. "Uh, right now?" She questions, "Yeah I'll get to why in a sec, but Miss Jenn isn't the only person with secrets. I really need to get some stuff off my chest." He says as we stop at Kourtney's locker.