13. A Silent Promise

After a boring training session, we had some spare time before dinner, so I decided to bathe. Grabbing a clean white robe, I sneaked out from the room and went to the riverside.

The cold water was like a miracle. I stood inside the river, enjoying the solitude. Being with seven people all the time was a bit overwhelming for me who was used to never-ending loneliness.

Yet...

As the universe wouldn't leave me alone for long, the pest duo (Angry and Noxious) appeared soon.

"So, the rumors were true, ha?" Noxious nudged Angry as he pointed at my chest where the curse-mark was.

I squinted at them with surging anger in my heart. Probably, that anger was a bit dangerous as the flame-shaped curse mark shone in red, restricting my power.

"Wow! You really have a leash!" Angry mocked me, thinking the mark could prevent me from snapping his head.

I pushed my hair over my shoulder and started to move towards them to show Angry that he was super wrong. My red eye must have glowed threateningly as the pest duo looked uncomfortable all of a sudden.

"Stop pestering him, so childish."

The voice diverted my attention. As I knew the voice belonged to Annoying, I didn't have to look to see who it was.

"Look who is here, the tag-tail," Noxious spatted his words, galvanising me to break his neck.

Annoying noticed my intention, so he took the word again. "It is almost dinner time, so stop this nonsense and go back," he said, ignoring Noxious's nasty comment.

"You are no fun, old man," Angry whined and with a sudden move, he pushed Annoying into the river and staggering backwards, Annoying's back crushed on my chest.

"It is where you belong," Noxious chimed and I attempted to lunge at him, but Annoying held my arm, blocking me.

"They are not worth it," he whispered, and sighing, I watched the pest duo disappear.

"Why do you intervene all the time?" I asked, irritated.

Annoying turned around to look at me, but his feet slipped on the slippery rocks and he crushed on me again, this time his face on my sturdy chest.

"Hurts," he mumbled as he rubbed his cheek, making me chuckle. Then he noticed his other hand was still on my chest, on my curse mark to be specific, and he flinched back.

"It doesn't bite, you know," I snorted as his reaction was a bit exaggerated.

He shook his hands defensively, "I thought..." he started with his eyes on the mark, "... it might hurt."

I could only gape. With an apologetic manner, I grabbed his hand and directed it on my curse mark.

Brushing his curious fingers on it gently, he asked "doesn't it really hurt?"

"No," I said with a shaky voice as my skin burned under his gentle touch. Maybe because it was my first time being this much intimate with someone or maybe because this person was Annoying, my heart hammered against my ribcage loudly.

"Isn't there a way to get rid of it?" Annoying asked with concern, his unruly hand refused to leave my skin.

"Are you really not afraid of me?" I asked, my gaze piercing through his eyes, "it is the only thing that restricts my demonic power."

Annoying evaluated my words on his mind before saying "I am not afraid of you as I don't believe you would use your power for something bad."

I was speechless. I don't even remember how many times I wished to hear these words, and when I lost all my hope, I heard them from someone who was supposed to be my rival. Different feelings mixed and surged inside my chest. I was happy, relieved and ashamed at the same time. All I wanted was to take revenge from those who tortured me, but a total stranger told me that he believed my good-heartedness.

"We must go back," Annoying said, breaking my trance.

"Mnn," I mumbled as I followed him to the shore even though the last thing I wanted to do was to go back. I wished I would be able to snatch Annoying from this cruel world and bring him somewhere full of happiness.

Still, as I was aware of the fact that it was an impossible wish, I promised silently that I would protect Mu Ning at any cost, even if it meant giving up my own life.