Chapter 7

January 4, 2020.

3:30 pm.
I was busy trying to finish my work for the day at the research lab. As I counted the bacterial colonies on the plate, I had my earphones in so that I could listen to music. The music stopped playing and my ringtone for phone calls started playing.

I stopped what I was doing. I took of my gloves and grabbed my phone from my pocket. It was a missed call from Harry. The phone began to ring again and quickly answered it not thinking twice that it could be someone besides Harry.

" Hey Harry," I answered.

" This is Ryan," Ryan responded. Way to go, Ella. He already feels like he has to compete with the thought of Harry. I  knew was upset.

" I'm sorry," I said trying to make things seem better. " I thought he was the one calling. I had just got a missed call from him. I'm sorry."

" It's okay. I just wanted to make sure we were still on for tonight," he replied.

" Of course," I responded trying to sound excited. " You're picking me up from up work?"

" Yeah, I'll be there in an hour," he said. After he hung up, I quickly tried to finish my work.

7:00 pm.

" Hey Ella! Can you please call me? I really need to talk to you. Please don't ignore me," I heard Harry say in the voicemail he left me. Ryan and I were out partying with some friends. After the phone call that happened when I called him Harry, I didn't want Ryan to get upset with me again. I thought about calling Harry back, but I decided not to. I went back into the party to look for Ryan. We started dancing. I wanted to have a good time with him. Ryan makes things better. When I'm with him, I don't miss Harry as much. I know he cares for me.

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I took it out when Ryan wasn't looking and saw it was Harry again. I put my phone away. I couldn't stop thinking about the phone call. I told Ryan that I had to go to the restroom as an excuse to call Harry. Before I left, Ryan came close to me. He put his hands on my face and slowly kissed me. As I headed out, I turned around to see Ryan happily jumping up and down trying to dance with our other friends.

Once I was outside, I took out my phone. I thought about calling him again. I quickly dialed his phone number.

" Hello?" Harry answered.

" Hey," I responded.

" Look Ella, please hear me out," Harry replied.

" We agreed we'd see other people," I replied thinking about Ryan.

" I know what we agreed. I just don't see myself being able to live my life without you. This feeling I have towards you doesn't seem like it's going away any time soon. I think we should be together. I've been figuring things out. I want to live my life with you. I've talk to John. He's says that it will only take 6 months for the immigration stuff to get fixed. In six months I could move back to Jersey and we can be together. That's why I think we should get married. I can't and I don't want to be without you any more," Harry finished saying. As I lifted my head to look up, I noticed Ryan had spotted me talking on my phone. Once he saw that I spotted him, he pretended like he hadn't just seen me.

" I have to go," I said.

" Please think about it Ella. I love you," Harry responded knowing that I would hang up. I went back inside and tried to party with Ryan.

We left the party and headed to my apartment.

" Are you mad at me?" I asked Ryan as he stopped his car in front of my apartment building.

" You were talking to him, weren't you?" He asked upset. He knew the answer.

" Yeah, I'm sorry." I replied. I felt guilty.

" For what?" He asked as he extended his hand so that he could hold mine. I reluctantly gave him my hand.

" You're such a nice guy. You deserve to be in a better relationship than this. I'm really sorry. I just don't think it's fair for you to be with me when..." I responded trying not to hurt his feelings.

" I love you," he replied. I let go of his hand.

" It's not right for you to be with someone who isn't fully there for you," I replied. I got out of the car and headed towards my apartment building. I didn't want to look back. I knew Ryan was still there waiting to see if I had really just broken up with him or if it was a prank.

As soon as I got into my room, I called Harry.

" Yes," I said when he answered the phone.

" What?" Harry answered confused.

" I will marry you," I replied. I felt at ease and also happy that I would be with him again.

" Are you being serious?" He asked. I started laughing.

" Of course I am, Haz," I replied. " I love you."

" I know," he replied. " In a month we will be married then. It can just be a small wedding and reception. I will take care of everything. ."

" I can't wait to see you," I responded.