History Lesson

James began to take a few puffs from his cigarette, trying to enjoy the peace and quite it gave to him. Every once and a while he'd sigh, but it didn't do much to disturb the quiteness. Until Jane had opened her mouth, that is. "So James, what made you leave?" She asked him. James looked at her, with a pained expression. "There's multiple reasons. Such as that 'Darkness' group. It also seemed like the life at the mansion was a big loop. A bad guy came around, caused trouble, then some amazing thing happens because of unseen forces pulling at our strings...at least now I can find something new...start over." She took took a puff from her cigarette, then looked at me. "There's only so much you can take of a person..." I nodded, as her words fit how I felt. "Exactly..." She took another puff, still looking at me. "Kid, better stop being to naive. There's nothing worth fighting for...off you try and find one, you'll end up like Valko." James tilted tilted head at the name she mentioned. "Who is 'Valko'?" He asked. She looked at him strangely. "You never heard the story?" He shook his head. "No, I never have...can you tell it to me?" She nodded, instantly sitting up. "It was long ago, before Slender's era. He was the very first 'Altered' proxy. He was under the control of one of the most powerful Operators, Sverrir. He was so strong he was able to let every force of evil inside of him and still not get possesed. He didn't do a lot of killing, as he soon found it to be immoral. He began to travel the world, searching for more ways to use his skills. Fearing that he could disrupt balance amongst the realms, all the Operators, including his own, killed him. For many days, they mourned his death. They didn't want to kill him, but he left them no other choice. It was what had to be done, all because of his naivety." James looked slightly surprised at the stories end. "They...killed him..." Jane nodded. "Yup. It's also why they they take the powers after an Altered leaves the group. It makes sure they can't do anything anymore." James sighed, remembering his powers. "Yeah, I know. I lost mine...now I'm pretty useless." She nodded, putting a hand on his shoulder. "Yeah, you kind of are.." James glared at her. "Gee, thanks..." She gave him him a taunting smile, then yawned. "Hey James, I'm gonna go hit the hay. Night, kiddo." James huffed, but replied. "Night Jane..." he watched her walk to her bed in the other room in the abandoned shack, then James just grabbed his bag and lied down, using it as as pillow. As he began to sleep, a dream began to form.