Chapter 23

Nicole called Waverly. "About to go into a meeting," Waverly said. "Can I call you?"

"Sure. I'm..."

"Love you."

"Love you too. Waves..."

"Must go, Alex our editor is waving at me. Honestly, they're like children."

Nicole called Xavier. "You free for a drink?"

"I'm in Rome. Unless you're in Rome."

"London. Let me know when you're back."

"A day or so. You never call for a drink. What's up?"

"A lot of things. It can wait."

"I've got time. They're not letting me out to play until this evening."

Nicole exhaled deeply. "I hurt Waverly."

"Man, this job can mess things up. Jules and I have had some words. Usually she wins. To be honest, I'm scared of her when she gets mad."

"Worse."

"She threw you out?"

"Broke her wrist." There was a pause. "Thought she was the Widow."

"Is she okay?"

"Look, I shouldn't be landing this on you."

"Land away. Guessing not on purpose, right?"

"Accident. Either way, it happened."

"Don't beat yourself up. This job screws with you. Have you spoken with M?"

"Off the mission pending full assessment."

"Got to me seeing Waverly all beat up on that island. Knew she wasn't part of our mission but had to do something."

"I've never thanked you."

"Kept thinking if it had been Jules. That would have finished me."

"Perhaps we could have dinner at mine. You and Jules. How is she?"

"One month till the baby comes. She's doing okay. Have plenty of pickles handy, it's her thing this time. Excellent, my pizza's arrived, extra anchovies."

"Thank you."

"Go hug that gorgeous girlfriend of yours."

Nicole called Charlotte. "I'm so pleased for you. Always knew you would end up together."

"Sorry I haven't been in contact much."

"Waverly's beyond excited. She showed me the ring. It's exquisite, so her. Such a good choice."

"I was wondering whether you and Miles would like to come to dinner sometime."

"Miles and I finished ages ago. I'm with Jago now. Love to. Would be good for him to meet you before the party, which I shouldn't have mentioned. Waverly swore me to secrecy."

"I won't say anything."

"I'm so happy for you."

Nicole called her mother. "How did it go?"

"How did what go?"

"The ring. I imagine it needs altering."

"Fits perfectly. She loves it."

"I'm so pleased. It's such an unusual design. So glad it's finally being used."

"Waverly broke her wrist."