19. the end

CHAPTER 19

"the end"

i turn away and pick at the grass sorrowfully. i feel awful; the type of feeling that eats away at you until you can't take it any longer. it felt like i had let down the most important person in the world. the overwhelming sense of guilt washed over me and it seemed to be drowning me; it became difficult to suck in a breath, like my brain had forgotten how to breathe. ziggy had lost her sibling, something i could never imagine making her feel, but here i am, sitting and watching as she mourned over her sister's dead body.

i've never felt more pathetic and disgusting in my life.

it seems like ziggy could sense my emotions as she looks up at me with tears brimming her eyes on the edge of release. she exhales shakily and pulls me into a firm hug. i couldn't stand the sinking feeling in my stomach and felt tears stinging at my own eyes. i inhaled and choked on my breath, leaning into ziggy's shoulder as my warm tears bled into her shirt. "it's not your fault sarah." she reassures, her hand running up and down my back as i sob into her fiery red hair.

"i'm so sorry ziggy. i- i could've jumped in front of her, i could have saved her, but i did.. nothing." i frown as she shushes me. "no. you didn't cause this. it was not your fault." she argues as she pulls from our embrace gazing into my eyes. her blue eyes seemed to speak the simplest phrase ever, don't blame yourself for things we can't control, the only thing i could understand clearly all day long at camp nightwing.

i rub harshly at my eyes secretly wishing this was all a dream and i was bound to wake up in my cabin, breathing heavily and sweating profusely. the sound of a throat clearing steers me from my daydream and i open my eyes to see one person i had not missed: nick.

"where the hell have you been?" i question, a glare sat atop my face, burning holes into his sickening face. "you did see me get cut, right?" he replies sarcastically, showing off his injured leg like it's a trophy.

"yeah, and it took you that long to do that shitty of a fix-up? i thought you were bound to be sheriff sunnyvale?" i respond, more ticked off than i've been all day. my eyes glance down at his shit job of wrapping his leg up, the gauze was clearly tampered with, as if he had spent minutes working on it.

if nick was wasting time, why would he leave ziggy? he seemed to take a liking for her so why take so much time to fix up a small scratch? nick gave me a terrible feeling, making me question every movement he does — and i'm determined to get to the bottom of it. for cindy, alice, and gary. their lives won't go down in vain with me in the equation.

"fuck you." he mutters, deciding to take the easy way out of a conversation. "really?" i snap, rolling my eyes at his pathetic response as ziggy smiles fondly at me. my heart warms at her gaze, but there are more important matters than my girlfriend; no matter how much i would love being cuddled up with her, comforting her.