Chapter 2: Science Class

Science was Maria and Arlene's forth period. History was their third, so they walked to class together. They spotted an empty row in the back, and sat down. As the other students filed into the classroom, Eric and a few other kids sat next to Arlene and Maria. The seating was like this:

Arlene, Maria, Eric, other kid, other kid, other kid

When Eric sat next to her, Maria's heart felt like a drummer in a marching band. "Hizzzaaah! Maria, who's your friend over there? Are you being nice and helping her?" Eric said to Maria when he was settled. Maria pretended to look up in shock. It wasn't that hard, there was plenty of other seats in the class for Eric and his friends.

"Hi Eric. This is Arlene, she moved here from New Jersey. And for the fact, at least I think, that we are buds." Maria replied. Maria didn't know it then, but Arlene would be her best bud for life. They all turned to the whiteboard when Mrs. Caleen entered.

Mrs. Caleen definetly was into art too. She wore leggings, a lab coat, and canvas shoes. Her blonde hair had streaks of green and blue in it. If you looked carefully, you would notice that her shoes were drawn on, and there was a tye-dye tee-shirt sticking out from underneath the lab coat.

In science, there wasn't much they did. Mrs Caleen put her students into groups of four, then gave them a small project to work on. Eric was with two girls, and the boy he sat next to. The girls were Tianna, and Victoria. Maria was paired with Arlene, Claira, and Staci. The project was to come up with a science question that will stump another team. Maria's group came up with this question:

" What is the chemical formula for glucose?"

They went to show Mrs. Caleen the question and she asked for the answer. Staci said that the answer is C6H12O6. Their answer was correct and she paired them up with Eric's group. Their question was like this:

"What are two factors that affect the force of gravity?"

This question stumped the group for awhile util Arlene gets out the textbook. Claira looks it up for a bit. That is, until Mairia saw her looking in the geography part of the book. "Here," Maria said softly, "can I have a look?" Claira nodded and Maria eased the textbook from her hands. "We should try the atmosphere, because I'm pretty sure that gravity was in the atmosphere part last year." The group agreed, so Maria went to the atmosphere section of the book.

Once Maria, Arlene, Claira, and Staci found the answer, they went to Eric's group to check the answer. "Hmmm... Distance between objects and mass of objects, eh?" Tianna said eyeing us as she spoke. We were all fidgeting nervously. "Correct. We are done with your question too. Tori, hand me the answer will ya?" Maria and her newly found friends sighed in releif.

Staci looked at the paper and said, "that's the chemical formula for sucrose, not glucose. Try again!" The group just stared at the paper. When the bell finally rang, it was time for lunch. Maria and her little group of friends all planned on meeting up in the cafeteria.