Chapter 1

~June 26, 2009~

It's been a whole day since my favorite singer in whole world, Michael Jackson, had died, and I'm still very sad about it. I'm still thinking of him during dinner. My older brother Matthew hasn't been home since after school, and it's 6 pm! I wonder if he's okay. 30 minutes later, the doorbell rang, and my mom went to answer the door.

She opened the door, and it was a police officer. Oh no. Please don't tell me Matthew got arrested, I thought. "Ms. Mendez," the police officer said to my mom, "I don't know how I'm going to say this, but... Just a few hours ago, there was a bad wreck down 15 minutes where this house is, and we've spent a long time looking for any survivors or bodies." My mom asked, "Was my son Matthew in there?"

The police officer answered, "Yes, Ma'am, he was. But I came here to inform you that..." He stays silent for a few minutes, trying not to cry. "He was pronounced dead during the wreck. I'm sorry."

Just then, I saw my mother break down and cry. It suddenly felt like the whole world was spinning. I went upstairs to my room and started sobbing my eyes out. "Why, God?" I prayed, "Why did you take Matthew away from us?" Ever since my older sister Mariah moved out to go to college two years ago, Matthew was the only friend left that I ever had.

You see, ever since I was four or five years old, all my father ever did was abuse me, and only me. Matthew would always try to help me in any way possible, whether he was defending me or even comforting me. Even after Mom and Dad divorced when I was six, Matthew was still always there for me. Now, the only way to ever see him again is by going to heaven.