𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐒𝐢𝐱

The whole day all i could think about was Luke and the more i thought about Luke the more i felt guilty about saying yes to Dylan. During the periods of thinking about Luke an idea popped into my head, Luke and I shared the pain of losing a mother while being on bad terms....so here i am walking up the driveway of the Patterson household.

I rub my sweaty palms onto my jeans about to press the doorbell when the familiar poof sound made me jump, and there he was. The person consuming my thoughts

"Luke!" 

"River? what're you doing here?" He asks confused, i silently pray hoping that he wouldn't be mad at me.

"Okay..look i- i just wanted to know more about you, ya know me very curious, um.." I rush out as he steps closer to me with bloodshot eyes, the look almost breaking my heart. "I came here last week on your birthday" I explained slower watching him carefully.

"You were spying on me?" he asked sounding almost offended. "Even after all your lectures on boundaries?" yep definitely upset him. "You were spying on me?"

"I know, I'm sorry it was wrong" gazing into his emotional blue/greenish eyes. "But I'm worried about you Lukey"

"You don't have to be" he said turning his back on me.

"I get it, i know how hard it is when you want to speak to someone you love and can't.... i understand your guilt alot more than you think" i say as my voice broke, "I feel that way every minute of everyday Luke" Stepping closer to him now.

"I don't even know what I'd say to her, even if she could hear me"

"Yes you do" he looks at me confused "You've already said it" 

Luke stares at me blankly making me want to hold his hand. "Trust me Lukey"

I watch as Luke presses the door bell with out breaking eye contact, i turn to face the door just as the older man i recognized opened the door. His dark framed glasses sitting atop his nose.

"Hello, can i help you?"

"Hi I'm River, um i believe you had a son named Luke?" I say trying to find the right words.

"Uh yes that's right" he answers smiling at the thought of his son. "And you are again?" eyeing me up and down.

"River Molina" i said feeling Lukes eye burning into the back of my head. "Um your sons band used to play in my familys garage" his dad shook his head still confused as to why i was here.

"I- i uh came across this song he wrote" I pull out the folded piece of paper from my pocket, "And i figured you might be interested?" Luke has his dad's eyes, they hold the same emotion when they speak.

"Um well, yes" Mr Patterson said unsure, "uh, please... please come in I'm Mitch" He holds his hand out for me to shake which i gladly do.

"Its nice to meet you Mitch" Mitch steps aside to let into his home, i hold open the door nodding my head at Luke so he would follow after me.

"Can I uh get you something?"

"Oh,no I'm good. Thank you!" I stop to look around the room, one particular picture catching my eyes. gently i pick up the frame, "Is this your son?" i asked already knowing the answer.

"Yeah, that's Luke. When he was two" Mitch explained, carefully placing the picture down i face him.

"Do you have any other children?" I question aware of Lukes presence behind me.

"No" he says shaking his head at the thought, just then a womans voice pulls me to look in the direction of the kitchen.

"Did i hear the doorbell?" Emily. She's beautiful,  walking towards her husband and wrapping her around his forearm.

"Hi hon, um this is River" He says smiling brightly down at her, a look full of love even after losing their everything.

"Hello River!" Her voice as sweet as honey, "Oh that's a beautiful top" she says looking at me.

"Thanks its my mom's" Playing with the side of it.

"River lives in the house where Luke and the band rehearsed" Mitch explained to his wife. "She was just telling me that she found a song Luke wrote" I look over my shoulder slightly, seeing a nervous teary eyed Luke. He meets my gaze so i give him a reassuring smile.

"Its a song about....a girl named Emily?" Luke's mother steps towards me looking upset but also amazed.

"I- I'm Emily" she said.

"Then i- i think your son may have written this song for you" I say giving her the piece of paper with the lyrics I've read over and over again. She sniffles while looking over the lyrics.

(pretend Julie is River<3)

It was strange,while Emily was reading the lyrics it was like all three of us could hear Luke singing, we could feel the emotion and it was like i could see the memory happening in front of me. Luke and his mother fighting, her running after him but never getting the chance to make amends....makes me wonder if my mom went through the same pain before she...

Even seeing the heartbreak from the night they found out Luke had passed on just added to my sadness. Their sobs echoing in my mind as the song comes to an end.

Being brought back to reality was hard, i opened my eyes trying to hold in the sobs while my nose was a bright pink. Emily's crys forced me to look up at her not knowing exactly what to do.

She sniffles trying to control herself "Thank you, thank you so much" she says breaking her eyes away from the paper to look at me.

"Um you have- you have no idea..." Mitch stops to inhale trying to stay composed.

"I write music in the same room that he did, and i can tell you that its a magical and a- a happy place" trying to choke on my own words while Emily and Mitch chuckle smiling through their tears.

"That's so nice to know" Mitch says giving Emily a tight squeeze.

"I know he was only 17 when he-" sniffles from Luke forced me to stop knowing that he would be drying his own tears, "But he lived doing the one thing he was born to do. Not many people find that, but Luke did... he was lucky" my voice was now horse as the tears fell freely. The familiar poof noise reached my ears signaling Lukes departure.

"It was so nice to meet you" Emily says reaching out for my hand, her warm ones squeezing my colder ones.

"It was n- nice to meet you too"

I shut the door behind me finally wiping my cheeks. I sigh looking around and not seeing Luke, god i hope i didn't mess up.

︵‿︵‿୨♡୧‿︵‿︵

a/n lol i listened to unsaid Emily on repeat while

 writing it bruh the sobs coming out of me i-
Also I have a Reggie x oc story in the works so lemme know if you want to see that<3 lots of love