Chapter 3

'Are you okay?'

'I'm fine.'

I set my phone on my nightstand after I responded. Vic has been on edge about me since I got home from the hospital. He has been texting me, nonstop, every thirty minutes. Jackie has been texting too, a little less often though. I don't know why they care so much. I'm not worth their time. They deserve so much better. They have lives, I don't. Make it easy for them. They aren't here right now.

"Shut up!" I yelled. Although, I was yelling at myself. Or, the voice in myself.

I was covered in a cold sweat. The voices stopped momentarily. I sat against my headboard and hugged my knees. There was a knock on my door.

"Kellin, sweetie, are you okay?" Said my mom. Although how much this was confusing me, I replied.

"Uh, yeah. Are you okay?"

"Are you implying that I am not?" She asked with a deadly edge to her voice. I knew that voice. I have to try to recover.

"No, no, no. I'm not. I-I think you're perfectly fine. I was just asking b-because I c-care." I managed to stutter out.

"Kellin, please come open this door."

I hesitantly got up and slowly walked over to my door, unlocking it. I took a deep breath and twisted the doorknob, revealing my mother. She was dressed up.

"Y-you look nice." I complimented.

She gave me a confused look but smiled anyway.

"Thank you? Uh, I am going out tonight. Don't wait up for me. Dinner is in the fridge."

I nodded and she turned around. I shut and locked my door. I let out a breath that I didn't even know that I was holding in.

I heard the sound of the car pulling out of the driveway and, after waiting a few minutes, I picked up my phone and texted Jackie.

'Hey, do you and Vic want to come over? No mom for the night.'

I waited and waited, but got no text back. See, they don't want me. They're probably already hanging out without...

My thoughts were cut off by a gentle tapping on my window. I jumped up, a little startled before walking over to it. I saw Vic peering inside and he smiled when he saw me. I opened the window to let him in.

"Where's Jackie?" I said a little worried.

"She couldn't make it. But, she wanted me to give you this." Vic said handing me a sealed envelope.

"Thanks." I said putting the envelope aside. "So, what do you want to do?"

"I don't know. Maybe we can call up some girls and play spin the bottle?" He only half joked.

"Uh, right." I forced a laugh. "You know, I would..."

"But...?" Vic urged me.

"You see, you know my sexuality. Sooo..."

He looked at me apologetically. "I am so sorry. I forgot. I mean, sorry."

"Don't worry about it."

He looked like he wanted to say something, but he just gave a small smile and nodded instead.

"Movie?" I said, trying to break the awkwardness.

"Uh yeah. You choose the movie, and I will go get the popcorn and drinks."

"Don't forget the candies." I yelled down the hall after him. I heard him chuckle.

I turned to my movie case and started to decide.