Part 6, Solid Ground

Chapter note. the first 3 chapters have introduced you to the Three. Each faction is controlled, to a degree, by a real life person so decisions have to be made.

They had decided to sail on and not resupply. their long voyage worked, they arrived unseen to the shores but supplies were now short.

In Part 6 They needed to decide if:- 1. They would land and march relying on the land for food. 2. Wait a short time while they gathered enough to begin the march or 3. Send the fleet out to bring back enough to replenish all their stores  but suffer the delay.

Read on to see what they have decided.

Steepshore was possibly the most picturesque bay that anyone could have laid their eyes on. The bay formed an almost perfect circle, large and deep enough for 3 Ocean going ships and with plenty of room for the smaller fishing boats owned by the population of the fishing village. Their little stone houses followed the main street that zigzagged up the almost shear slope from the bay up to the small coast road which lead East. Steepshore, its bay, and its Main street was the only break in the surrounding forest, and the road East the only way in. Generations had lived there for the bounty that came from the sea, the tranquillity and beauty of the village and its steady pace of life. wealth and riches were measured in a different way in Steepshore. The room in the bay and location where why the Grand Duchess and Marquess had guided the fleet to it. Remote enough not to be watched, a way up off the shore, and the surrounding forest wide enough to hide and shelter the army.

Caroline left The Grace, the smallest and only ship that could moor alongside Steepshores harbour. The ship was busy with much preparation and work being carried out to convert the main deck and aft cabin in to accommodation for their Grand Duchess as there was not a single dwelling large enough to for fill Caroline's needs in Steepshore. She trod carefully as she made her way along the wooden jetty, which made up two thirds of its length, before the wood was replaced with stone just before the shore line. It was a beautiful fresh morning with just a few clouds racing across the sky and the harbour was busy with the local boats navigating their way between the two other ships that occupied the bay. She reached the harbour wall, the land side was bordered by the first of the wooden sheds and small stores that by the end of the day would be busy being used by the returning fisherman. The sheds and stores formed one part of a semi-circle divided by the entrance to the main street, with its other side completed by a terrace of little stone cottages. She turned and began to climb the street of long steps, each being 3 or 4 strides long. Turning in no particular set fashion, running along the front of one set of cottages and then turning back behind them, the street made its way up to the road. Lined with houses, a hand full of shops, two small drinking houses and dotted with small court yards at the turns or part way along a street between the larger homes. Walking the street gave Caroline a rare moment when she lost herself in the simple considerations of watching the world go by.

The village street was busy, not with the local population which were few and going about their daily business, but with the coming and goings of the soldiers who were still carrying the remaining supplies to the top of the Village. The only homes used by her army were those houses which had been abandoned closest to the road. Caroline was concerned, perhaps half the houses had been left, the families unbale to make a living from the sea whose bounty had become less and less over recent years. Those houses were now occupied by the commanding officers of her army with the rest of her force now continuing to make a camp in the forest along the small road.

Caroline had left The Grace to find Lady Jane who she had given leave to for the morning, having noticed that Jane was unable to conceal how tired she was. With the mornings work complete sooner than expected her thoughts had returned to her concern for her loyal hand servant.