CHAPTER 39

ARAVIND’S POV
I knew everything was a dream. Even though they were happening in real life they were a dream. It’s just that I don’t know how bad it is going to be when I wake up. It was hard to digest that it would end. Today or tomorrow? I don’t know but it will end.

I opened my eyes to see her smiling face. I smiled seeing that. She had the most beautiful smile. I have never told her but it is the best smile I have ever seen.

She had a weird look in her eyes. How much ever she smiled and tried to cover that emotion it was shown very much clearly. She looked at me like it was the last time she is looking at me. Everything she was doing seemed so. She wasn’t angry on me anymore. You know when you learn that a person is going to die you treat them differently, treat them good. It was like that. As if I was dying and she knew it. She left her anger, pain, everything behind since this morning. Maybe it was all just my imagination because of the dream I had but even this seemed so real to me.

She came to me still with that smile. “You seem better" she said and all I could do was nod. “You forgave me so soon?” I asked, whispered thinking she won’t hear in the same time I would feel better that I asked it out. I was wrong she heard it. She always did. “I did forgive you but pain is still fresh. So don’t dig it" she said in a low tone. Thank God you didn’t say I’ll forgive you for sure. Because that would kill me if you ever leave me. I thought.
Why do you even stick to that she would leave you? My heart angrily asked. I didn’t know what to think and what to reply because she was trying to make me sit straight. “What are you doing?” I asked. “Get up. Gloria had set a small send-off party like and even Richard’s brother has come.” She said it a bit doubtful.

We went down after getting dressed and packing our things too. We would leave after the party to our cabin and morning fly to Mumbai or even tonight. It was in the lawn. They again had that bowls which we used for the game on the first day.

“We’re playing something again?” I asked Gloria and she smiled with a nod. “What game?”
“This time a bit different. We spin the bottle, to whom the mouth points will take a paper from the bowl and you will do that task. No escaping! Let’s have some fun before you leave" she said and I just smiled.

I met Rowan, Richard’s brother as well as Arjith’s friend. I have met him before in India but before few years, I guess. He was a friendly man and most importantly not like Richard always sticking with someone else’s wife. By the way even his wife had arrived. We yet had to meet her. “Act like we don’t have any problem until we leave. Please” Adiya whispered to me and I looked at her with shock. She just nodded and I nodded in response.

“There! My beloved wife, Jhanvi!” Rowan said as a young woman walked to us with a broad smile and a tray in her hand. Adiya almost fell when she got up. “Careful" I said as I held her. “I’m...I’m fine" she said but she didn’t look fine. I took my hand from her waist when I saw the look on her face. I made her uncomfortable is it? I asked myself. Before I could get my answers she was standing before us. He introduced each of us and she hugged everyone. She was sweet and friendly too.

“So? Let’s start?” Rowan asked and we cheered. We started with the game and suddenly I felt Adiya holding my hand. I turned with wide eyes. “Can I hold it for sometime?” she asked in a low tone. She seemed disturbed. The more weird was her friends kept asking if she was fine. “As long as you wish" I replied before I got carried away with my thoughts.

The first spin was Jhanvi's and it pointed Vikranth. He took the paper. “I’m inaugurating the evening!” he screamed as he opened the paper. “Thank God you didn’t pick this Vihaashini!” he said in shock. “What is it?” Arjith asked. “If your a girl: apply makeup for your husband! If your a boy: do 20 push ups with your wife on your back!” we cheered. He had it today! Viha went and happily sat on his back and he started. He went on really good. The wonder is he finished the 20 too. We clapped and cheered him. “What do we get for you to cool down, champion?” Arjith and myself got on one knee and our right fist on our left chest. “A kiss from my wife!” he said looking at her and my sister-in-law was more than happy to grant his will.

They both got along really well and  could say they have started falling for each other too. Who knows maybe they already confessed their love too.

Rowan spun the bottle next and it pointed Richard. “Jump in the pool of ice. Shirtless” his face sank when he read it but mine brightened. “Karma kills" I whispered to myself. “That’s rude Aravind” Adiya whispered to me. “What is rude? I took my hand from yours just for a second" she shook her head. “Karma kills" she repeated my words and I chocked on my drink. I looked at her with a you-heard-it look and she nodded. I just shrugged and turned so I don’t miss the fun. He shivered and came out like a chicken who mistakenly fell into a well. I so wanted to laugh but Adiya tightened her grip on my hand and I knew I had to keep shut.

After sometime she came close to me. “You would have laughed so very bad if I didn’t hold your hand" she stated with a shocked yet knowing look. “That was for sure!” I said and she smiled shaking her head. I sat mesmerised in her smile.

Next was the great Richard himself. He spun the bottle and it pointed me. His reaction changed. You expected history would repeat? My cunning part asked and I giggled giving it a high-five. Adiya was smiling at me eager to know what I would get as I picked the paper. “I’m not doing this!” I grumbled as soon as I read it. “What is it?” Adiya asked. “Dance for any song which your partner chooses!” I grumbled as I read and Adiya burst out laughing. I glared at her and she said sorry but didn’t even think of stopping or even controlling her laughter. “You have to do that!” Richard said and I wanted to punch him. “Bhai you know how miserable I am at dancing!” I turned to plead Arjith. “Omg! You just called me bhai?” He asked and I looked blankly. Did I really say? “It’s okay dear! You sing a song instead!” he said and I did feel sad for the second option too but that was better than the first. “What? You can’t do that!” Richard said. “He called me bhai for the first time in his whole life! Let him go na?” he asked Gloria and she looked at me then agreed. I was happy at least I didn’t have to dance. “You don’t know to dance? You don’t know to cook! How are you even living with him Adi?” Richard said and I had a boring look on my face. “I’m with my husband not searching for a servant! And secondly he cooks way more better than you and he takes care of me and loves me way more than anyone can ever do!” she kind of spat it out. I was shocked but mean while happy for what she said. His expression changed and the atmosphere got thick. If I had left Adiya I was damn sure she would hit him now. You love me so much? I thought. But still want to go away. I felt sad on that thought. “Okay! Cool! What song are you singing? Dedicate to Adi!” Arjith said. I know he was giving me chances. I gave a nod to him and he returned it with a smile. I thought for a little and decided what to sing. “Okay. This might not be a dedication but I feel singing this now” I said as I started to sing.

🎶 You are the reason – By Calum Scott 🎶

🎶 There goes my heart beating
'Cause you are the reason
I'm losing my sleep
Please come back now
There goes my mind racing
And you are the reason
That I'm still breathing
I'm hopeless now
I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
Oh, 'cause I need you to see
That you are the reason
There goes my hands shaking
And you are the reason
My heart keeps bleeding
I need you now
And if I could turn back the clock
I'd make sure the light defeated the dark
I'd spend every hour, of every day
Keeping you safe
And I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
Oh, 'cause I need you to see
That you are the reason (I don't wanna fight no more)
I don't wanna hide no more
I don't wanna cry no more
Come back I need you to hold me (You are the reason)
Be a little closer now
Just a little closer now
Come a little closer
I need you to hold me tonight
I'd climb every mountain
And swim every ocean
Just to be with you
And fix what I've broken
'Cause I need you to see
That you are the reason 🎶

I opened my eyes when I finished with the singing. Everyone were cheering and clapping but Adiya had tears in her eyes. I sat close to her when the others went for the next spin. “I didn’t sing that to hurt you" I whispered to her and she leaned on my shoulder. “You have a great voice. When you miss me sing a song you can feel me near you" she whispered back but I was shocked, hurt and angry for her reply. “Why would I ever miss you for that long when your always going to be near me?” she looked at me and a tear dropped. She got up and ran inside without giving an answer. Actually the look on her face did give me an answer which I didn’t want to accept. “I’ll check on her. You all continue. She feels throwing up" I said as I ran behind her.

She straight went to the room and closed the door. “Adiya!” I called out as I knocked on the door but she didn’t respond. “Adiya open the door!” I again said banging on the door but she still didn’t respond. I was scared something was going to happen to her at the same time I wanted an answer for my question.

Twenty minutes passed but she didn’t open the door. I finally heard a sound inside but it got me tensed more than getting me relieved. I heard her cry. I panicked. “Open the damn door before I break it!” I shouted and waited for her to do something. I finally heard movement behind the door. She opened the door. Her eyes were red and puffed and even her nose was red. She was still crying, like tears rolling down and she didn’t take any initiative to wipe them off. I sighed in relief and pulled her to my chest. I held her tight and she cried louder.

I shut my eyes controlling myself to not say something when she was this upset. But she is been sitting on the bed holding her legs close to her chest. It seemed a long time but actually I didn’t know how much time passed. “Are you even going to tell me what’s happening?” I asked loosing my patience. She shook her head. I was loosing my temper. It wasn’t because she isn’t answering properly but I was scared something was happening to her. “Are you...planning to leave me?” I finally asked it out and she looked at my face. She seemed blank. I couldn’t read her. Nothing, just a blank look. She looked away. I kept trying to not ask things but my heart was hurting to see her that way. “If it’s because of what I did yesterday...I’m really really sorry! I mean it!” she looked me again but this time didn’t look away. “At least don’t close yourself from me!” my voice cracked and more tears fell from her eyes. “If I did leave you someday...not for this...for some other reason...what will you do?” she hesitantly asked. “I would die" my immediate answer came and regretted saying it because she broke down crying so loud. I have never heard her cry so much. “Adiya...Adiya!” she looked at me. “Don’t cry. Please! Each time you cry...your tears tear my heart like knife.” She hugged me and kept saying “I’m sorry.” I held her like my life was ending. “I don’t want to hurt you but” she couldn’t complete as another sob left her lips. I pulled back to look at her face. “Your each tear is blood from my heart" I said and she cried. I captured her lips. She held me so tight.

I put her to sleep but unconsciously she held my hand and slept on my lap. I didn’t know what to do. I let her sleep and I watched her face on the mirror, opposite to her face, the whole night. She smiled at times. She cried at times. She jerked in sleep but never left my hand go. I caressed her hair as she slept and all our memories played before my eyes.

The next day someone knocked the door and I whispered a ‘come in' and Arjith slowly opened the door. He smiled looking at us. “We’ll leave?” he asked and I remember we actually had to leave yesterday. I nodded.

I carried Adiya out when we bid byes to everyone and it was time for us to leave. She snuggled closer and held my neck. Her breathing on my neck distracting me. I was thinking how to make her sit on the bike and make sure she was safe. She slowly opened her eyes and jerked in shock. “Morning” I whispered as I kissed her nose. She smiled. Her eyes smiled. “Morning” she whispered rubbing her eyes. She looked around. “Time to go?” she asked with complete shock. I smiled and nodded. “So soon" she whispered to herself. She looked over my shoulder and waved her hand to the others. “Bye guys! Will see you soon?”
“Sure!” Jhanvi replied and again, I noticed her reaction change. “Good to see you, Jhanvi” she whispered and I was taken aback. I didn’t react though. “Good! We’ll be expecting you all in India! Deal?” she asked them and they shouted a sure.

I drove this time as my sweetheart was still in sleep. She held my jacket as she hugged me and most probably slept. I took her hand from my chest and kissed it. “I love you" I whispered and she held me tight and whispered, “I love you" I thought she was awake but she was actually sleeping. I smiled at my adorable wife.

We went to our cabins first. Adiya woke up to collect her things alone and when we got on our bike she again hugged me and went to sleep. Then we rode to the airport. I carried her to our jet and even to the car later. She was sleeping on my shoulder and holding my arm. I took the back seat as Arjith drove and Bhabi next to him and Vikranth and Viha drove another car following us. I kissed her head and we drove to our house.

We reached home but she didn’t open her eyes as I knew she woke up when Arjith horned for the gate to open. He parked the car and finally she opened her eyes and got down. We carried our luggage to our room. “I’m going to take a shower.” She said and walked but I held her. “Yesterday you asked me na? About the leaving thing" she nodded sadly. “I would come for you. I won’t let my miracle slip away" she got on her toes and kissed my lips and went to the bathroom before I could react.

Dad was leaving in the evening so we were getting all the files and documents he would need and even checked them once. “Had a good time?” Dad asked when we were winding up. “Yeah. We didn’t go look around but I had great memories” I said smiling. He patted my shoulder. “Come! Let me tell a bye to everyone and get ready to leave" he said as he got up.

We all gathered in the hall and Adiya held my hand when she sat near me. I looked at her but she reacted as though it was unintentional and she still didn’t realise it. She acted weird. One side she was not speaking to me properly and she was actually being close to me but not close.

“So? Time for me to leave! Take care of each other and wish me luck and pray for me until I come back!” dad cheerfully said and hugged each of us. And we bid our byes to him and he got ready to leave. “Take care of Brinda" he said us. “You don’t have to tell that dad" Vikranth said and he got into his car with a chuckle.

After dad went Adiya said she was going to walk in the lawn and I didn’t say anything. Things felt really different. She was really near me but I felt her far away. She was ignoring me, acted angry and at times acted as though I didn’t exist. Whatever you do you are never are going to get what you want. I thought to myself.

If you ever left me,
I would be the first person behind you,
When you turn.
I’ll never leave you alone.
I’ll never let my miracle slip away so easily.