two

Sayra squeezed her eyes shut and rubbed her temples as her mother castigated her with her knife like words and brutal torments. She hadn't told her that she had spent the night with Cinizia, if she did she would have probably chopped her head off. She let her berate her till she was covered in her scalding words, till she ran out of expletives to throw at her.

Her mother had locked her room from outside so that she couldn't escape. She let out an exaggerated sigh of annoyance as she plopped herself on her unmade bed. She wanted to see Cinizia again, she was the closest thing to freedom she could get until she left Ilvermonia for good. She decided to have a cold shower and then decide on how to escape her room.

After getting rid of Cinizia's intoxicating fragrance that clung to her skin, she turned her attention to her window. She had never used it before to escape, it led straight into the garden in front of her mother's room. If she wanted to escape she would have to do it when she was fast asleep. She sighed realising she would be able to leave the house only after 11 in the night.

Sayra spent the rest of her time emptily gazing at her ceiling and overthinking about each and every detail about her interaction with Cinizia. She wondered how could someone as beautiful as her be so dangerous that the whole town wanted to ostracize her. She found it a bit odd that she had no real home, but after all even she didn't have one. The house she was living in was just a concrete structure that housed burning torments and her fractured existence, it could never be home. She let her mind drift to what could Cinizia be doing, did she come from a highly affluent family that let her wander around without any pressure to earn a living? Had she really descended from the heavens above to mess with their dull existence? If she really was a goddess what on Earth was she doing in a washed out town like Ilvermonia?

She thought of her glowing skin and her uncommon smiles, how she always needed her hands to be busy with something. How she smoked like she would live forever, her eloquence and her honeyed soliloquy. Suddenly her mind flashed to her disheveled appearance, how she looked like a faded and yellowed person in front of her ebullience. Her cheeks reddened and she decided she would try to put in some effort towards her appearance.

Night came after an excruciatingly long wait, Sayra had put on some mascara and her favourite strawberry lip gloss to brighten up her dull face. Her ensemble consisted of a plaid skirt and a ribbed top which she had layered with a knitted cardigan to shield herself against the cold winds. Her heart was ready to leap out of her chest and her palms had gone clammy with sweat, she had never tried to sneak out of her house; not even when her classmates held a party by the beach at midnight or when her friends begged her to join them for a bonfire night.

Sayra took in a deep breath, in an attempt to calm herself down. She slowly opened the window and twisted her body outside. She tried to make minimal noise as she softly landed on the freshly cut grass. She padded through the lawn whilst keeping an eye on her surroundings to make sure no one saw her. She had never snuck out in her life before, the exhilarating gush of adrenaline was a foreign feeling to her. She had taken a liking to it, she liked how her heart freely beat against her ribs, undeterred and fearlessly. 

It took her a while to reach the abandoned swimming complex of the town, she had to make sure that no one noticed her. Sayra expected to see Cinizia at the roof, but thankfully she was sitting at the edge of the pool. Her back rested against the cool stone while she gazed at the royal blue sky dotted with glittering milky stars. Her hands were once again fiddling with something, this time it was her gold lighter. Sayra quietly admired her divine beauty, it was rare to find someone who stood in stark contrast to their washed out immaculate town.

She made her way over to Cinizia who seemed to be absorbed in her own world, as if she had  transcended to another plane of existence. Cinizia's dark hair were sprawled across the stone floor, while her leg bobbed up and down. Sayra chewed on the inside of her cheek before she cleared her throat to make her presence known. Cinizia's gray eyes snapped to her and her cherry lips curled into a smirk. She lifted her body from the floor as she propped herself on one elbow.