Chapter 19

Eventually, we had walked all the way into the city, which was way... gloomier than I imagined.

     All of the buildings looked like they had been vacant for years, but at the same time they looked well-used. It made me wonder what kind of people.. or vampires lived here.

I stuck close to Mika who now suddenly seemed like he had a chip on his shoulder after my whole bird talk. He wasn't talking to me anymore or even looking at me. Was he really gonna try to ignore me even though I was standing right next to him?

We walked through a couple of narrow streets, weaving through crooked buildings. In some places it was quiet, but in others, it was eerily silent, as if someone knew we were here and was trying to keep us from noticing.

I shook the feeling off and continued with Mika's surprisingly quick pace. He obviously knows the area well and judging by how sharp he's taking these turns, he definitely knows something that I don't.

I took in all the sights, remembering my goal of looking for any sign of an exit.

     I was beginning to think we'd never see anything other than old buildings when we approached a set of stairs with a young, human child sitting on them, coloring on some paper with a few crayons strewn about.

     My fascination peaked when I saw her. She had adorable curly brown hair with bangs that framed her young face. She looked pale but seemed to be enjoying herself.

     She looked up when she heard our footsteps approaching and her eyes widened. She didn't run away or move, but simply stared at us as we came closer.

     I gave a friendly smile and her big brown eyes fixated on mine. As we came near, Mika made it clear that he intended to keep walking but I wanted to say hello first.

     "Hi there," I said with a smile as I stood a few feet away from her. She didn't say anything, but gazed at me with her big pretty eyes, like she was deciding if she should trust me or not.

     I knelt down in front of the steps. Mika stopped to look at me.

     "We cant stop here, (y/n)" he said with a serious tone of voice. I simply ignored him and continued to interact with the girl. It had been way too long since I've been able to talk to someone without a set of fangs.

     "What are you drawing there?" I asked, looking at the paper beside her. Her eyes seemed to light up.

     "It's a snowman!" She said, picking up the paper and showing me. There were two large circles, filling up most of the paper with a smiley face and a triangle nose on the top circle.

     I smiled at it. How adorable.

     "Seriously, we need to keep walking," Mika said, walking over to me.

     "It looks amazing!" I said, ignoring Mika's comment a second time. "Have you ever built a real snowman?" I asked the girl.

     "No.. not really," she said, putting the paper back down. "Not out of real snow, but my brother has. He told me he made one a long time ago."

     "I see," I said, removing my hood to appear more friendly.

     "And one time, he made a snowman out of rice so I could see it for real!" She said, getting excited.

     "That's incredible," I said, genuinely interested. She seemed so sweet. How could a child so nice be here in a place like this?

     "(Y/n)," Mika said again impatiently.