𝐫𝐮𝐧 𝐛𝐨𝐲 𝐫𝐮𝐧 ━ 𝐚 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐧𝐝 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧

☂︎ 𝔱𝔰𝔲 | ❛ ᴀ ꜱᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ꜰɪʀꜱᴛ ɪᴍᴘʀᴇꜱꜱɪᴏɴ ❜

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 𝐒𝐓𝐎𝐎𝐃 𝐒𝐓𝐈𝐋𝐋 in the cold crevices of the police station lockup, and Diego was certain he had never been this impatient in all his life, which was saying something. He had barely slept a wink since they locked him up after processing and he doubted you hadn't noticed his absence yet.

"I won't be gone long. Two, maybe three hours tops. You think you'll be okay?"

You were quiet for a moment, your mind, by the looks of it, running. But then you nod and force a small smile.

"I trust you."

Those three words played back in his head over and over, making him wince. From where he's perched on the end of the holding cell 'bed', he plants his face into his palms with a sigh, rubbing at his temples.

Explaining to you, or the others for that matter is not something he was looking forward to. He could only hope you were still at the Fighting Lion, somehow still waiting for him.

"On your feet, Hargreeves,"

Diego looked up from his hands to be greeted with a familiar officer-an old buddy from the police academy-and the clinking of keys against the metal bars meant his freedom.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"....It gets weirder. It did match an unsolved cold case that came back circa-get this-1938."

Diego's eyes had hardly left Patch since he was guided back into processing and out of holding where down below, his ex-girlfriend and current friend sat discussing a case with her partner Detective Beaman. Through the white noise of the station, he had only managed to pick up on the last half of their conversation as he was led to her desk in cuffs.

"Tell them to run it again," she says, handing back a sealed bag of evidence. When her eyes land on Diego, they're as impatient and stern as he feels. "Uncuff him," she orders to the officer.

The man complies and Diego relishes in the feeling of the cuffs untightening from his wrists and freeing his skin. "Thanks, Rodriguez," he says, and the officer nods, finally departing.

Diego looks down at his old friend, quirking a brow and itching to leave. "Am I free to go now, officer?"

"Sit down," she sighs.

"You know if you needed my help you could have just asked--"

"--Shut up, and listen carefully," Patch warned, snatching back a piece of the evidence files Diego had grabbed as he reluctantly took a seat. "The next time you interfere in one of my investigations-you so much as breathe on one of my witnesses, touch a piece of evidence, I'll charge you with obstruction of justice. You will do jail time. That clear?"